1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'83 Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by honeyboy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Hey y'all! I've been visiting this web site for about a month and finally decided to join up. I usually play sax and some guitar, but just recently I've been playing bass on some blues gigs. I've been using a Mexican 5 string Jazz which had some 500K pots put in. I like it but it didn't get a nice traditional blues bass sound- it is too bright sounding- probably due to the pots. I've been playing through an SWR Silverado head taken from a Silverado amp with a 15" Carvin speaker in a cabinet. after reading alot on this website, I realized I needed something else. I went shopping for either a used G&L or a used American P Bass since I think most of the old records I hear are being played on a P Bass.(I wanted a G&L just because I like them.) Anyways, I checked at a local guitar store and they didn't have either one. However, they had an old '83 Squire P bass from Japan(SQXXXXX serial #) with a new fret job which sounded unbelievable- warm,bassy,and basically exactly the old vintage tone I was looking for. It is made of ash with a nice sunburst finish with just a few dings to give it the vintage vibe. The neck is straight and action just like I like it- about 2.5 /32nds at the 12th fret.Well they wanted $275.00 for it so I bought it. I've been enjoying it all day emulating the tones I hear on my blues tapes. Anyone else have good experiences with these old Squires?