Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

84 Ric bolt on info needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-birdfan, Jan 16, 2002.

1. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I've found a Rickenbacker bass that I'm thinking of buying, but I'm not that familiar with Rics. I went to the website and found that with the serial number I could date it to Dec. 1984 but that was it.I don't know the model but I think it's a 3001. Here's the description; 4 knobs, one toggle switch,bolt on neck,ser.#XL1536, black finish, two pickups,pickup cover,rosewood fretboard with dot inlays,all gold hardware. It has the original case and tool kit. I would appreciate any info at all on this bass like price, quality, model name( I'd really like to know this) etc. Thanks in advance for your responses, and I hope we can identify this bass.

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    T-birdfan, Unfortunately the serial number off a RIC guitar or bass will not tell you what model it is. The serial number will only tell you the month and year it was made . The actual digits in the serial number do relate back to the instruments manufacturing date, but only RIC has the manufacturing log records with that information and generally they do not disclose it.
    This means that we will have to determine the model that you've described by your description. It sounds to me like you're describing a Model 2050 also known as the "El Dorado". This bass has a bound body with gold hardware, semi-active electronics on board. Even the Rickenbacker nameplate (truss rod headstock) cover has Rickenbacker on it in gold lettering.
    These are also full scale basses, unlike the original 3000/1 which were the predecessors to the El Dorado & Hamburg (2030 the unbound version).
    Rickenbacker introduced the 2050 and 2030 in 1984 and discontinued them in 1994. They were replaced by the 4004 Larado and Cheyenne models.
    I think it's safe to say that the 2050 & 2030 models which were considered entry level instruments did not enjoy the success that RIC had hoped for.
    As far as the value of one today, the list price for a new one in 1994 (the last year they were made) was $999.00
    Depending on condition, I would think that somewhere around the $350-$500 would be in the ballpark.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,

3. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks alot bassman. I forgot to mention that it had a bound body. What kind of craftmanship were they? Where they not popular because they were shoddy, or simply because they were not 4001/4003's. I see you're from T.O. I found this one in sudbury for 800 Cnd with the original case and in very good condition, just not sure if they're worth the money. Also what did you mean by semi-active.Thanks again for your reply.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    When you mentioned the gold hardware, the 2050 was the only bass that RIC made using gold, that was the giveaway. The 4004 Cheyenne is the only other RIC bass that has gold hardware.
    The El Dorado and Hamburg models were the first new models introduced by John Hall after he took over the business from his father F.C. Hall.
    They were John's babies. John was trying to bring new designs to RIC. And these were a definate departure to the traditional RIC designs.
    Bold on neck was new to them, as was the active electronics. No RIC bass before these ones incorporated these features into the design. The quality of Rickenbacker instruments is without a doubt among the best in the world, and these are no exception.
    If you like the feel and sound of the bass, then buy it. I will say that these are not very common in our neck of the woods. I've never seen one in the T.O. area.
    I guess that $800.00 Cdn is probably an OK price if the bass is as clean as you say as most used 4001/4003 tend to sell for over $1000 Cdn.