'85? Steinberger XP-2: What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shreave, Mar 30, 2004.

1. shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Here's my Steini. I am the original owner and played the crap out of it all through my teens. Condition on a scale of 1 - 5 is probably 2.5 to 3. The white splotch is finger wear. It's the first year issue with passive EMGs. The pickguard has been replaced with the second year one (it has a cut out on the lower left for replacing the active pickup's battery). The only reason I have kept it all these years is because it's rare.

Now that it's reaching the 20 y/o mark, I'm wondering if it's becoming collectible. I'm guessing it's one of those items that, although rare, is not something in any demand.

So what do you think? Is it worth a crap or what?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ones in VG or better shape go anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on who's selling.
  3. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    This reminds me of an episode of "The Price is Right" where the item up for bid was a painting. One of the contestants "guessed" the price down to the penny. Interestingly enough, the guy priced paintings for a living, and he had been the one to set the price on that exact painting. Pretty impressive.

As for the bass, I don't know what it's worth, but the title of the thread made it sound like we're supposed to guess the exact price. That's what made me think of the Price is Right.

*end of useless ramble*
  4. fitzgerald01

Aug 20, 2006
    some years ago when Steinberger was being acquired by Gibson, I talked to a woman from Steinberger who told me to hang onto my '86 XP bass. She said that they didn't make a whole lot of them and she felt that some day they may be worth some money if in good shape.
  5. Unfortunately, as with anything that is being sold, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I sold a Steinberger some years ago and got AU$1000 for it. They aren't all that rare, I believe, and they are one of those instruments that many people associate with the 80's, for good or bad.

I guess if someone is really wanting a Steiny, you may get lucky with your price. I would estimate somewhere around $600 US might be about right.
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    An XL2 went on Oz ebay a few months back for $A3610. Paid a hell of a lot less than that for mine about a year ago.