1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'86 Fender Jazz special Japanese (longish)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big Thump, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I recently pisked this up for $150, Burgundy Mist,pretty good shape,a great player, & the body is really resonant,sounds un real unplugged,a great 2nd bass ,The prob is the pups are a little muddy,i've got a jazz so primarily I bought it to just use the p pup,I run into the Sand bddI into "83 Gk 800 into peavey 410TX & play classic rock blues and a bit of funk, I like a growly passive tone like my geddy,but a fatter P with growl is what i'm after,Should I go Fralin or seymore quarters? I no the seymours are super hot, are they hot and growly organic or do they have a active kinda hot sound? Thanks in advance. I string my basses with Hi beams

2. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    anybody

3. My very, very first bass was an '86 Fender Jazz special - phenomenal instrument that go stolen after only 6 months of my owning it.

I don't know what to advise, as I don't remember having any issues with the pickups....any chance of looking for some "original" replacements?

That's a steal of a price, btw. They are worth more than that in decent shape, and they are very hard to find.

Jay

4. This is a P/J combination isn't it?

I'd put a Dimarzio Model J in the bridge spot. Growly, punchy, hum canceling, plenty of output and blends well with other pickup. Also sounds great soloed.

I like old school Precision tone so I'd probably go with Fender '62 Reissue or Dimarzio Model P.

5. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Thanks for your responses, Ya it was a good price ,but it had no strings , knobs, had a dodgy input & the body has a few scratches and dimples,and needed a set up bad,but is now with a cleanup, it's a decent player,just not happy with the pups. cheers

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've got stock PUs on mine - it records and gigs very nicely.

If you like a hotter passive. I'd use SD quarter pounders, but that's just me.

7. Isn't the 'preamp' a bit different from a typical passive tone control? Search for Fender's TBX tone circuit for info. IIRC, this setup tried to emulate active systems w/o actually being powered. Cool if you like it(I did on my first good bass, circa '85-again, IIRC)but I imagine it may affect the tone you're getting. There are several Jazz Special fans here- keep plugging.

8. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    you may be right, It could be the TBX tone pot thing mucking up the sound,maybe I should bypass that circuit first,then i'll know if it's that,or should I just throw in a reg. tone pot,& toss the TBX, you can get a replacement TBX tone pot,but I wonder if it is that great ( when working prop.) cheers & thanks for your inputs

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I've owned a few of those, and I'm left with one at this point. It's currently wired back with the stock pups, which I'm actually digging a lot. I had Quarter Pounders in it for a while and it sounded really good as well.

I'd say the QP will give you a similar tone as the stock pup, but more powerful.

If you want the more traditional P sound, then you'd probably want the 62, Fralin, or SD Antiquity type pup.

I found both the stock and the quarter pounder very snarly on those basses, which may or may not be what you are looking for.

If you do Quarter Pounders, I'd probably have to say that the stock J pickup will compliment the Quarter Pounder P more that the actual Quarter Pounder J.

But really, try some other strings before you do anything with the pickups. I tried some DR Black Beauties, which I believe are the same as the high beams (but coated), and I found that they did not work on that bass very well.

I had the QP at the time, and my tone a thickness that was great the slinkies, totally got lost with the Black Beauties.

Good luck

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021