1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

86 Japan precision - Brandoni body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by King Tut, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Hello,

I've just picked up a 1986/87 MIJ precision. It's a fantastic player with good tone, but is a bit of a munter looks wise. What I like about is it's narrow maple neck whicj is kinda halfway between a Ja and a P.

The finish has been removed, and it's been varnished. Looks OK from a distance but not too good up close.

The body is 4 piece and, I believe basswood, which I've never been keen on sound wise............but, I must say, sounds good on this baby.

My local luthier has quoted me £150 to have the bosy refinished in a solid colour with a nitro finish - which i think is pretty good.

Alternatively, I could pick up finished Alder body from Brandoni in the UK for £115. Does anyone have any experience with brandoni bodies - are they any good?

What should I do....decisions decisions!

2. Um, check again. My MIJ 86/87 Jazz is alder.

3. Hey Hambone - thanks for that, my luthier reckons it looks like basswood but I think it's a bit heavy for basswood - although it's by no means a heavy bass. It's a natural finish 4 piece body - although not originally natural. He says he thinks it's basswood because there's not much grain - but I'm not convinced, mainly because it has such a nice tone to it. How do you post pictures on this site - maybe I could put a shot on?

Col

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My 85 MIJ Jazz Special is Basswood (according to Fender anyways) and it sounds great, although isn't very loud acoustically at all

I wouldn't say it sounds better or worse than my Alder-bodied SX "equivalent" though, when amplified

5. Thanks Dave, I don't plan to play my P acoustically so I guess the volume isn't a problem. Maybe I've just got a hang up about the perceived tonal quality of basswood against alder - which I really should get over at my age!

Col

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    If you like the way it sounds then just play it! I wasn't too sure about basswood at first either but I like it just fine now. It's light too, though it does ding easily since it's a softer wood than alder.

7. You're totally right man - I think that different cuts of different wood all sound different - if you get a good 'un, just enjoy it. Look how popular the aerodyne jazzes are - and they're basswood!

Col

8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other,wood makes a difference so do pick-ups,neck wood,bridge and the nut ETC....
    I played a plywood bodied bass that was used to cut a few albums and NOT ONE PERSON EVER MENTIONED THE TONE BEING POOR,go figure.
    I own 3 basses from every decade,some the same models some different but all are Fender,some American some Japanese BUT NO MEX!(sorry mex owners)some vintage some newer ETC... and my best bass in every aspect of bass playing is a 150.00 Japanese P/J bass,so do I throw my 1000.00$ american Fender with the S-1 switch in the wood chipper ?:eek: ,but it has its own vibe and is great for some music,so take it with a grain of salt,there's to much emphasis on name brands,wood text,where it was made YADA-YAYDA YAYDA,if it sounds good/feels right,plays great DONT SWEAT IT MON! play it!:bassist: :bassist:

9. And I def will be tonight with my classic rock band!

Cheers

10. Tut, I forgot a detail and it might have bearing here. My bass is an MIJ 1962 re-issue. That could explain the difference.

11. Thanks Hambone. After reading some of these posts, I've decided not to get too hung up on what it's made of. It sounds real good, and the tatty finish gives it a bit of gig cred, so in terms of appearance, I'm gonna keep her how she is.

The only question is..............should I put a J pickup by the bridge...........hmmmmnnnn!:meh:

Col