1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$89 SX (Essex) Jazz Bass video demo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's a quick video to demo the sound of the $89 SX Jazz Bass I just picked up. This is a surprisingly good sounding and well built bass.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Sounds great. I commented to video, also.

3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

I'm still stunned by how nice this bass is, given the cost. A quick setup and it was all good to go. The clip is stock electronics, pickups, and even the stock strings !

4. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    This is exactly what all the SX discussions need. Posted video and audio clips. Thanks.

5. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No problem ! This bass is a joy to play !

6. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
  7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Sick vid - once again this just proves it's not the brand of bass - it's the player. The SX is a well built instrument though, i've played 2 of them. Nice job!

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hey H2O, how many bass companies are out there that you can get a new bass twice in a month, and not break the bank?

I love SX, I plan on buying my first next month. :bassist:

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Fixed. :)

10. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Hey nice review. I kept waiting for you to show the bass, however.

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I wish I would have had a bass as nice as this SX to start out on. My first bass was a POS Global that had a misaligned bridge, terrible action, and sounded horrible. It's a miracle that I didn't quit playing because of that bass.

12. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

How true! :p

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I might in a different video. I just figured I'd show the headstock and play a bit since the camera was precariously balanced on an ottoman ! :) I may buy one of the SX P Basses as well so I can do a "P vs J" comparison.

14. Mastermold

Cool. I've got both a P and J and they're just as nice, the tone and playability is all there, so for the price why not.

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Exactly. I mean, nice new bass for under $150 ? Why not ? :bassist:

16. Mastermold

Well, be careful! I started buying one every month for a bit and suddenly had a room full of SX basses with no place to keep them! :D

17. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i was gona get a 5 stings sx fretless but from what i hear they cram 5 strings into the same spot they put 4. my fingers are pretty big and i need some space betwwen my strings

18. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    It sounds really good. Just out of curiosity, is there any difference between the $89 sx and the $119 ones? Is it just the color choices that make it a little more expensive?

19. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    The bass sounds great... although through that sweet tube rig of yours a piece of cardboard & some rubber bands would sound great, too! :D

Enjoy the bass, Dark Horse!

20. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Bingo, baby. Around this time last year I heard about Rondo for the first time (on TB, of course), and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw pages of less-than-$150 basses and read about how they were good, solid instruments. Two months later I went from two electric basses to five. I picked up an SX P-bass, SX fretless Jazz, and a Douglass six-string that I picked up for $109. So, my point is, warning: with SX basses starting at $89, it can get out of control. Quick. :bassist: