1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$89 SX Jazz Bass - Slap bass demo video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Someone, though I forget who, asked if I could do a video of the $89 SX Jazz Bass doing "slap bass style" playing. Anyway, I'm not really a "slap player", and certainly my amp isn't designed for slap, but I threw together a quick video anyway. There's some extra compression to the sound caused by the cheap videocam's internal mic, but I think you'll get the idea.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO

2. Not bad. Can't see a damned thing but it sounds good!

3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The vid just uploaded. It says "the video quality will be better once the video has fully processed", but I'm not too worried. It's just a Jazz Bass, and really, the sound is what matters. :D

EDIT: Dang it ! I should have played this off as your eyesight going bad. :eek:

4. My eyesight is going bad so that would have been easy.

:)

5. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Evidently my mind is going as well ! ;)

6. Maybe!

I keep thinking about picking up an SX but I have too many as it is, and I just keep on buying more parts to assemble more basses. They do look like a quality piece for as cheap as they are though.

7. Yeah but great sound!! Are those stock strings?

8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

It's shocking how good this bass is for the $$$. I don't know if they ALL are like this, but apparently enough of them are really great to have created the amount of hype they get. For the hundred bucks, it's darn near impossible to beat.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The bass is stock except for the pickup/bridge covers (though I took the pickup cover off for the vid) and the thumbrest, so yep, stock strings !

10. I may still grab one.

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Hard not to justify a nice $90 bass.

12. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I'm wondering this question too. Cuz those sounded great!

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Answered in post #9.

Yes, they are stock. :)

14. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Woops! My bad, didn't see that

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

No problem at all ! :D

16. Man, that amp you're using can make ANY bass sound amazing! ;)

But seriously, that is one BAMFing bass. I know what I'm investing in next.

17. I LOVE my SX fretless P Bass
    like Dark Horse everything is bone stock including the D'Addario flats that came on it
    all mods are cosmetic (put Jazz type knobs instead of the chrome dome push ons)
    few flaws in the finish and some of the inlays on the neck were not applied perfectly but for a bass that costs 115bucks can't really complain...SOUNDS awesome and is fun to play.

18. Dark Horse, thanks for posting the slap video. I asked about it in your last video. It sounds really good. :)

19. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Cool - glad you found it helpful. Sorry about the delay in getting it done - busy week. :)

20. No, it's not really. But then, I have a $175 body and an $85 body on the workbench, a $75 body on the way, an '82 P Special and a '98 P Deluxe gutted waiting on parts. I can always find something to spend the $90 on!

:)