Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8Ohm To 4Ohm????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulb7664, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi All.
    Can a 8 Ohm, 4x10 cab be rewired to 4 Ohm??
    I am thinking of getting the Ashdown 410 T.
    Thanks.
    Paul.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The short answer is no. An 8-ohm 410 cab is usually four 8-ohm speakers in series-parallel. Those same speakers could be rewired all in parallel to make a 2-ohm cab or in series to make a 32-ohm cab. A 4-ohm 410 cab can be four 16-ohm speakers in parallel or four 4-ohm speakers in series-parallel. I sure don't know of a way to make a four-ohm load out of the drivers in an 8-ohm cab.

Don't think about putting resistors across the speakers, either. They lower the output of the cabinet because the resistors just convert power to heat.

3. Hi Paul,

Nope. Not without replacing the speakers anyway. You can rewire it to be 2 Ohms or 32 Ohms, but not 4 Ohms. :ninja:
    Do they make a 4 Ohm version?

.....must resist comment that might be construed as beating a dead horse.:bag:

4. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    So now what do I do!!!! A 2x10 and a 1x15??? or just go with a 8 Ohm 4x10 into a 4 ohm out put on the amp??????????
    I did not want to stack speakers, BAD BACK :crying:

Thanks

5. What kind of amp do you have?

If it's not a tube amp, 8 Ohms shouldn't be a problem, though you won't get the full power out of the amp.

6. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
  7. CPL

CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I think it is possible. You have to know how to wire the speakers correctly. You may be able to find this info on the net somewhere.

8. You won't find correct info on it. It is electrically impossible to rewire an 8 Ohm 410 cab to be 4 Ohms without replacing the drivers or disconnecting 2 of them. :bag: :p

9. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    I think I will go with the 4x10 and see how I get on.
    My problem is the Drummer Mics up!! Hope I have enough power with one cab! If not I will just have to spend more money on a 1x15.

So much for playing in loud bands!!!!!!!!

Paul

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

such a great comment on this, but the mods would frown on it. a few of you will get it... and nod from behind your keyboards. gimme at least a little chuckle, will ya?

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If the drummer mics up it shouldnt be a problem just DI yourself. You should do this when ever a drummer mics himself and unless you have an absolutely huge rig you should do this anyway let your amp be your stage volume and thats it dont try fill a room with a small rig.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh c'mon. Go for it!

13. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK

Di myself mow thats something new to me!! Why spend all this time and money on good amps\cabs and then go through a PA?? The Drummer mics up for a better tone.

Thanks

Paul

14. I've been resisting since post one......:D

15. It wouldn't hurt to do that really, think of it as the PA enhancing your onstage tone. If you want you can take a post preamp DI signal from that amp, or even mic the cab!

16. has anyone rewired a 410 to run as two separate 210s with two inputs? sorta like running two cabs, but in one...?

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Because that's how it's supposed to be done. Your amp should only deliver the requisite volume for you and your mates to hear you on stage. The PA is what covers the audience.

18. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK

Is this possible???

Paul

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, though you'd have to subdivide the cabinet on the inside. I can't imagine the utility of it.