Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8's????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drewie, Apr 21, 2002.

1. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I play in a 4-piece rock band, and I am looking at the possibility of using a 4x8 cabinet instead of the 1x15 that I currently use.

The main reason for this is that our PA has two powered subs plus two full range cabs. Put simply, I am looking for a cabinet that will cut through onstage and add more mid punch (and clarity) to the mix, as there is plenty of low end rumble!. I am not a fan of a lot of top in my sound - just good mid range punch. The onstage volume is around the 250-300w mark. I use an active 5 string.

Is it worth considering 8's on their own or should I be thinking more along the line of 10's. I intend to keep my 15 as an option on larger gigs.

Has anyone any ideas? Thanks.

2. I own a ampeg 4x8 i am very happy with,i picked it up for 140 used at guitar center. It is a very punch cab, i love i use it with a hartke ha 2000 haed with is 200 watts, it is great. try a 4x8s out. it will surprise you

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    If i were you, i would go for the swr Henry the 8 by 8, 8 inch speakers. This cab RULES. they can be had for a good price used. there is usally one or 2 on www.bassgear.com. they are excellent cabs, perfect for slap too. IMO

4. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Thanks guys.

I would like to try the Henry, but it's a bit out of my price range new in the UK. If one were to come up second hand I would be interested.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    drewie,

which 4x8 are you using? I've got a Trace Elliot 4x8 cab which is good (up for sale, as I don't use it at the moment, but still good)...

...I used one of the new Ashdown 4x8 mini series cabs in the US and that thing was amazing!!! Great on its own, world beating when hooked up with a 1x12 as well...

8s are great - the depth of the sound is as much about porting as it is about the size of the speakers - the combined surface area is worth considering...

that SWR 8x8 kicks out some SERIOUS bass... to much bass for me. It's a great Reggae cab...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Thanks for your reply Steve.

The cab that I am most interested in is the Ashdown ABM MINI 48. I use an ABM-400 head so it would be nice to continue with Ashdown as I have thoroughly enjoyed using their gear. Plus it would look well funky sitting underneath!!! I can't wait to try one! :D

In my opinion when you compare Ashdown with the cost of other quality bass equipment available in the UK there is no real competition. I can't justify paying approx £200 more per cabinet for a comparable product.

Thanks for the offer of the Trace, I will be PX'ing a Fender Jazz so I'll probably be buying through a dealer I'd imagine.

Thanks again.

7. Zoom

Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey Steve,
    I posted a question about these cabinets yesterday and got no response. So I thought nobody had played them yet. (I'm not sure how long these cabs have been out).

I was thinking of the Mini48 on top of a Mini15, powered by an ABM300 or 500 EVO head.

These cabs are SMALL (which really appeals to me), and from your reaction to the Mini48, it sounded pretty large?

What were you using for amplification?

Any ideas on the Mini48/15 setup.

Thanks

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Zoom,

I don't know if they are even 'properly' released yet... I borrowed a 4x8/1x12/500W EVO head set up for my solo tour and Ashdown clinics in January (I normally just use a C110-300 Ashdown combo...) - and played through them at NAMM...

I tried that very set up that you list, and it was cool, though I prefered the slightly 'tighter' bottom end of the 12 instead of the 15 - it seemed especially well matched with the 4x8 (which is so small, it's very hard to believe that it kicks out the volume that it does!!!!!) - as and when I have the neccesity and the money to ungrade my rig, that's what's top of the list at the moment...

to find out about availability, try emailing Mark Gooday on info@ashdownmusic.co.uk

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (new CD available here now)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have bought two Euphonic Audio VL208s from Overwater in Carlisle and these are truly awesome cabs - 2 of these together will give you a great sound! Seriously, the VL208 is the best cab I've ever heard - it does have 5 and quarter " speakers as well as a tweeter.

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Bruce,

I have a student who's got one of those - it's a great little cab. Lots of power for not much size... My only complaint was that it didnt' distort well - when I ran the Ashdown tube preamp into it with it distorting, the tweeter sounded a bit 'fizzy' for me, which makes sense as the EA philosophy is more 'hi-fi' than dirty tube sounds... for clean stuff, I thought it was a great cab...

..and the mid range driver is a nice idea - one that Accugroove are using as well...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    I also have an Ampeg 4x8 cabinet, and it's great. It puts out a huge amount of low if I so choose. These types of cabs are a little unusual, but you should not discount them if you find one you like.