1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(8th Annual) Favorite Horror Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I do this every year around Halloween- it's a chance for new members to talk about their favorite horror flicks and old members to post about any new discoveries or old gems they've found.

I've seen a lot of horrors this year that I hadn't before, thanks in part to the great horror movies thread we've had going in Off Topic. "Inside," "Let The Right One In," and "Martyrs" are three European horrors that were both great flicks AND original. There isn't a ton of new original stuff coming out of the US these days- almost everything that sees any press is either a remake of a foreign horror or an old US one. It's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to relaunch Basket Case :D Some were good though- I saw both Quarantine and REC. (the Spanish original), and they were both good. Friday the 13th remake was certainly enjoyable for what it was, and I have some hope for the new Nightmare movie, although I'm a huge fan of the original so we'll see.

So any new favorites, any new flicks you want to see? I'm still waiting for the Dog Soldiers sequel to be made :scowl:

2. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    "Audition". Good god...D:

3. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Hmmm lets see what's going on in the horror genre these days... a remake of The Blob I hear? A remake of Nightmare On Elm Street. A remake of Friday the 13th. A remake of Halloween 2. I enjoy them out of necessity but sheesh where is the creativity in Hollywood these days? The good news is that they will run out of remake material sooner than later. :bassist: I spend more time looking for old horror movies I haven't seen yet then paying attention to what's coming out at theaters. I still need to see Videodrome and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things.

I really wish someone (King and Romero) would make more Creepshow movies but good like the first one. The whole soundtrack is only piano and minimoog, lots of comic book framing, and extensive use of red and blue lighting. :D

The new European horror movies already mentioned are very good.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I don't know if I have a favorite, but I recently listened Eraserhead and man, that movie was good.

5. 3 extremes

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Dagon is my current new favourite. Creepy as hell! Mandatory viewing for Lovecraft and/or low budget fans.

Others:

Halloween III (so bad it's good)
    The Wicker Man (does this count?)
    Rosemary's Baby (classic)
    Ichi the Killer (borderline horror, but amazing either way)
    The Prince of Darkness (Carpenter's best)
    Suspiria (Best. Soundtrack. EVER.)
    The Haunting (another classic)
    The Last House on the Left (utterly disturbing)
    Phantasm I thru XIV (cheesy, but great)

I'll have to check out Inside and Let The Right One In, as Martyrs was amazing. I think Ringu 2 is coming via Netflix right now...

7. House on Haunted Hill (the original Vincent Prince version)

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    YES

:p

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it's the original. If it's with Nicholas "NOT THE BEES!" Cage, then no.

And nad, you liked Dagon? To me it was one of those movies that was really felt like a "Sci-Fi Channel Original," if you know what I mean.

10. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    I loved it! Sure, it wasn't a masterpiece by any means, and definitely felt a little, um, homemade, but it captured that certain dark, damp, and sinister mood that only Lovecraft's stories can. Plus the skinpeeling scene really stuck in my head for almost a week, when a movie can disturb me for more than a day I give it extra credit. :D

I never watched the Nicolas Coppola remake of The Wicker Man. I figured it would just make me punchy, so I avoided it. Generally speaking I loathe remakes anyhow.

11. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I don't know about the Wicker Man. During that scene with the dancing chick I was like I should love this but I do not.

If you liked the Goblins on Suspiria (I do!) then check out Deep Red also by Dario Argento. I like the Deep Red soundtrack better. Some say Carpenter ripped off the Goblins for the original Halloween theme.

I just saw Phantasm II on DVD for the first time and almost picked up. Couldn't bring myself to pay $15 for it. I suspect it will be dropped to $9 after Halloween. :D

What was the name of that recent Lovecraft movie with the guy staying in the attic bedroom and he is visited by witches or things coming through the wall or something? Anyone? I want to say it was one of the Horror Masters series. Cigarette Burns was pretty cool too.

12. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    BLASPHEMY! :D

I didn't really like Deep Red, but the dubbed / subtitled copy I watched was royally screwed up (kept switching between Italian and English), so I need to watch it again I think. Argento is always worth watching though, if anything just for the visuals. Didn't Greg Lake do the soundtrack for Deep Red? EDIT: No, it was Keith Emerson, and it was Inferno. Whoops!

Dreams in the Witch House is the one you're thinking of. Pretty okay, but the only scene I thought was great was the end. Note: I adore that Lovecraft story.

13. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Dreams in the Witch House thats the one. I liked it but then I like cheesy movies.

Yeah the new release of Deep Red is odd with the switching between languages. I guess those parts never had English so they were taken from the Italian release? I think it was a major screw up by Anchor Bay to not include the original US release. Then again that one is odd too because there are gaps in the story. Either way the Goblins played a great score on it!

So what is it about the original Wicker Man that you guys like? I thought it was a bit painful, predictable, and largely devoid of what I would call horror.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just saw "Paranormal Activity" recently. Pretty damn unsettling.

15. Martyr's was the most disturbing one I saw this year. Still need to see "Midnight Meat Train"

I liked "The Ruins", "Wolf Creek", "Planet Terror", and yes I liked "Cloverfield" too.

16. While not strictly horror movies, I gotta go with Oldboy and 28 Days Later.

17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    while looking for a horror movie I saw when I was like 10 years old, I found this link. Like the IMDB of horror movies only.

http://www.terrortrap.com/

I found that movie here..."The Final Terror". I gotta go rent it.

Most of my faves were seen when I was a kid, a time when they would have had the most profound affect on me.

One that gived me goosebumps even if I just talk about it is Salem's Lot.

I just hope that when I eventually do see these again after 25-30 years later, they won't be a disappointment...

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Salem's Lot the book was great. I tried watching the movie while I was in the hospital after my daughter was born, but it didn't seem very good. Then again, I was really distracted.

19. My favourites list:

The Plague of the Zombies
    The Haunting
    The Woman in Black
    Horror Hospital
    The Signalman
    Frightmare
    Suspiria
    The Bride Of Frankenstein
    Whistle and I'll Come To You
    The Shout
    Werewolf of London
    Dracula AD 1972
    The Exorcist III
    The Tingler
    Hellraiser
    The House That Dripped Blood
    The Creeping Flesh
    Death Line
    Hands of the Ripper
    Night of the Demon
    Death Line
    Psychomania

Yes, mostly very English films from the 1970s, mostly not even remotely scary...

You may not have heard of The Woman in Black, at least not as a film. If you are the type who goes for the atmosphere of suggestion, like in The Haunting, or The Innocents, you must see this film. It's the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen.:eek:

20. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    I watched that one recently, the blood scene was VERY impressive! Other than that it was pretty ridiculous, but still fun. :D

I'll have to check out the others on your list, cheers.
    Oldboy is a masterpiece, have you seen the other two related films? I wasn't a huge fan of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance but Lady Vengeance was amazing, almost as great as Oldboy.
    Honestly, absolutely everything. The first time I watched it I thought it was pretty fun, but now many viewings later there isn't a single moment in that movie that I don't find absolutely spellbinding. The music, the vibe, the feel, everything. Although I don't exactly consider it horror, but it does fit the season very well.