Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10 + 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Can my Yamaha bbt 500h 500watts head drive two 8x10 cabs?
    Will this result in high volume?
    Do I need more power to drive so many speakers?
    Thank you

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yes Yes No. :D IMO of course. 500W into a single 8x10 should be good for pretty much anything, I would think. Unless of course, you end up clipping the amp... then you will need more. Bleah, I can't think, no sleep...*yawn*

Ray

3. What is Clip? Everyone is talking about that all the time, and I dont understand what it means :(

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Clip is just another word for distortion. I hope you are playing on a very large stage :eek: 16 10"s is a lot of sound.

Most cabs sound different when played at lower levels, and you may find that you like the sound of two cabinets at 250 watts each rather than one cabinet at 500 watts. Many people have used a single 300 watt SVT head to drive 2 SVT 8x10 cabinets over the years.

Set it all up and try one cab vs. two cabs and see what you like better :cool: Of course, when it comes time to go on a gig I think you're going to prefer ONE cab ;)

5. Ahh, thank you.
    I hate amps that clips.

I have seen alot of Ampeg amps that distorts the sound.
    Victor Wooten bass day 2002, I think it is a little distorted, and when Felix Pastorius plays, OMG the amp Clips all the time.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Actually, I just looked up your amp, and noticed it is only putting out 250 watts at 4 ohms ... you only get the 500 watts by running two cabs and getting down to 2 ohms.

If you just want more volume, a higher power head will get you there. I'm sure your cabinet would handle more than 250 watts, and doubling the power has roughly the same effect on volume as doubling the speaker area.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, in a technical sense clipping is not distorting, but distortion is the by-product of clipping. A "clipping" tube amp is favorable a lot of times even. Clipping in a solid state head though is dangerous for speakers though. Do a search on it and you'll learn A LOT on the topic, as it's discussed often and extensively.

Ray