Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10 cab wiring help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Feb 15, 2004.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    I want to find a diagram for an 8x10 cab, Ampeg with 32 ohm speaks and total load going to 4 ohms.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure there will be follow up questions, so bear with me.

Thanks guys and gals, Dave

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mathematically, it seems you have to wire up all 8 speakers in parallel to get your 4 ohm load.

I'm not sure how ampeg do it but I would do it in such a way that if one speaker dies, the other 7 will keep working.

The connector on the cab has a positive and a negative terminal. From the positive terminal, run 8 wires, each one attaching to the positive terminal of one speaker.

Do the same with the negative terminal.

That's it. You're done.

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    one question, should they be in phase or out?

it seems like something is wrong, the cab sounds weak and has low output. i'm using a vintage SVT and the cab is a 1970's square back ampeg. it has newer OEM speaks, so i was told by the guy i bought it from.

can anyone maybe draw a diagram?

can a wire from one speak go to the next as long as it's on the right terminal? (ie: positive to positive of the next speak?)

thanks again, dave

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    They should all be in phase. The easiest way to check is to put the speaker cable to a 9v battery. All the speakers should move in the same direction.

You can indeed run wires from speaker to speaker. The reason I didn't suggest it is because if one speaker fails, all the speakers connected to it will lose signal and stop working as well.

I'd say the bigger problem is the replacement speakers. Unless he used the exact replacements as used by Ampeg, there's a good chance they don't agree with the cabinet. There is also the posibility that the replacement speakers were designed for a ported cab and don't like being in a sealed cab. Gawd I hope they're 32 ohms..........

Can you pull one of the speakers out, have a look for any specs/info printed on the back, and post it here.

5. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks pete, the speaks are 32 ohms, and that's about all i can find on them. i think one or more of the speakers are not working, just a hunch.

i will try to make a new set of wires, and then just plug in the new jack with the wires, connect the speakers, and try again.

i was told they are the oem for the new cabs, so i figured it would be ok, the dimensions are the same, no?

I really want this cab to work, it matches my early 70's svt!

dave

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I beileve the dimensons are the same or similar......

hmmm..... (scratches head).

The 9v battery test is also a good way to tell if all the speakers are working. If it doesn't move, it's either dead or not hooked up.

Let me know how you go.

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    can i test each speaker with the 9v?

dave

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd test all 8 at once at first. If all 8 move, there's no need to test them individually.

Of course if all 8 move and they go in the same direction, we're no closer to identifying the problem either.... we'll worry about that if it happens.

9. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks again, pete.

i will report back tomorrow night!

dave