1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8x10 cabs. Are they really THAT big?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    So, in my search for a suitable cab I've come across various 8x10 cabs. The volume and bass would be ideal, but i can't get past the size.
    Then I saw this pic:
    Hartkefull-1.

Is there some of of visual distortion happening here? That cab looks little when compared to those jazzes.

2. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    They will seem that way until you start moving them around. I love mine though.

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I think two 4x10 would be good. So you can take 1 cab for smaller gig if you need to or use both cab for larger gigs.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    They are compared to my 1x10 combo...:bag:

Seriously, I was looking at going from an 18 pound 1x10 combo to a 41 pound 2x10 combo. Someone said try this before you buy if you don't think it's THAT much bigger:

"Carry it for 100 yards and see what you think. You may also want to take it up and down some stairs."

There just aren't many time where the average guy NEEDS an 8x10. If you must, get multiple smaller cabs.

5. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    That looks about right for an 8x10.

I mean think about it, 4 - 10" speakers in a vertical column won't be much more than 40 inches tall.

6. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Right, but right now I'm using a 6x10.
    So, I guess the question is, how much bigger/heavier would an 8x10 be?
    I mean, that hartke looks smaller and thinner than my ampeg

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I agree with the above statement.

One of the coolest moments in my bass playing past was when I got the play through Al Scarborough's setup. Al was the bass player for Stillwater, the '70s group that had the hit "Mind Bender".

Anyway, it was an true vintage Ampeg SVT and an 8x10 cab. I think the setup originally belonged to Paul Goddard of Atlanta Rhythm Section. A killer setup!!!!

Back to my point: If I had to cart that rig around to play, I couldn't do it! Way too much. I am slowly updating my rig now to a couple of smaller cabs. I have a 4x12 cab and I can't load it without help.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    One would expect an 8x10 to weigh approximately 1/3rd more than a 6x10 of similar construction.

Hartke VX810 51x25x15 146 lbs.
    Ampeg 610HLF 40x24x16 110lbs.
    Ampeg 810E 48x26x16 140 lbs.

If you want to lug that around then more power to ya'

9. Anybody make a neo 8x10?

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Markbass does. 90lbs

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

My 810 is 18 pounds lighter than my previous 610 and it's a bigger cabinet to boot. It has Neodynium speakers in it.

TD

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, you're right, it's way too much...IF YOU ARE A GIRLYMAN!!! I'm back on the vintage SVT/810 bandwagon, and I'm actually surprised that it's not as difficult to move as I remember, and I'm 47 and not in particularly good shape. I wouldn't recommend it if you have back problems, but it's really not so bad to move around if you have a handtruck and don't mind making an extra trip.

13. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    You know how soundmen are. They never want to turn up the bass because they fear blowing the PA speakers or maybe they just sck. This is why you make the sacrafice and use a huge cabinet.

One time I got lazy and brought my 2x10 to a smaller venue. It was the biggest regret ever. I could not hear myself 3 feet in front of my amp, and when you cant hear you have no confidence. Never again.

14. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Guilty as charged! :D

I love the old stuff. It's hard to beat the sound. Plus they were built like a tank. The whole time I was touring actively, I was lugging around a Bassman 100 and that huge 4x12 cabinet. You know the one, the one where the speaker all turn inward. :(

Now the effects of Polio and the age factor (53) makes me slow down a lot more than I want to.

If my wife would turn me loose with a checkbook, two things I would go out and get are the old Ampeg SVT with an 8x10 and the old Peavey 400 with their 8x10 cab. Sweeeeeeet!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wow, polio, huh? Sorry to hear about that. I could see where an SVT would be quite wearing in that case.

16. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    if you're already using a 610 i don't think going to an 810 is that big of a difference qualitatively speaking. it is still heavy as **** but not so heavy that one strong dude couldn't move the rig.

i've got a mesa powerhouse 1200 and it's in the same weight range (140 lbs) but not so tall. with casters installed it's only marginally more of a pain in the neck than my avatar 212 in most situations, the only time it sucks is if you have several flights of stairs or something. living in the city, we have an elevator in our rehearsal space and most places you play have no more than one flight of stairs, if that, so the tiny extra bit of hassle is well worth it for the extra 700 watts of headroom.

17. Nicka

Nicka

Jan 10, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Endorsing Artist: Peavey Electronics
    In my opinion the weight isn't going to be main difference between the cabs but the sound of the 610HLF to the 810E. The 610 is a ported cab with a horn and in my opinion sounds much more powerful and assertive on both the high and the low end because of those features. The 810E has the thick and almost boomy low-mids because it is a sealed cab without a horn. I would go to a music store with your head and A/B the cabs first before committing to the change.

18. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I moved a old straight backed Ampeg 810 cab forever. JimmyM has me wanting it back !!!!
    Looking back, it wasn't that bad. Especially at the end of the night and you've loved your sound all night long!
    I actually think most 410 cabinets, (especially the ones that are 18" deep), are harder to move than a 610 or 810.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I feel the same way, shoot-r. At least with an 810, you can use leverage to get it up on a stage. With a 410, you're pretty much stuck with deadlifting it.

20. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Peavey Tour™ 810:

* 3200 watts program power
    * eight 10 inch neodymium magnet high-performance woofers
    * one 1 inch horn-loaded compression driver tweeter with overload protection circuit
    * classic Peavey Silver stripe grille trim design
    * one Neutrik® and two 1/4 inch phone jacks in parallel
    * durable black Tolex® covering with steel corners
    * sealed cabinet for tight precision bass
    * all plywood construction
    * lightweight enclosure with Neo woofer
    * 111 lbs.
    * Weight Packed: 122.60 lb(55.61 kg)
    * Width Packed: 19.75
    * Depth Packed: 50.25
    * Height Packed: 27