1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8x10: CL vs. VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tb420, Apr 24, 2010.

1. tb420

tb420

Sep 23, 2008
    Is the difference purely cosmetic or are the speakers/cabinet design different too?

Thanks

2. Im 99% sure its just a different grill cloth.

3. they sound the same, VR just has the vintage look.

4. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    i could be just mentally unstable, but my 810Av cab sounds way different than the classic cabs. In fact, when I stored it at a label's locker a few years back, they kept grabbing mine for recording sessions because it sounded better. still, could be completely nuts here.

5. tb420

tb420

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks guys.

There's both a VR and CL for sale local. Same price for both but the VR (which I like the looks more) has huge cuts in the tolex. The CL is in pretty good shape. I guess I'll just go for the closest one.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    besides the grill cloth, the tolex is also different on them. the VR has the smoother fender type tolex and the CL has 'nubtex' tolex. other than that, they're same cab.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'd be interested to find out the years of each of those cabs. it's possible your av sounds better because it wasn't made between the years of 2000-2005, which were not good for the 810e or 810av, the actual names of the cabs (you have an av).