Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10 or 2 4x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by line1, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I'm looking into buying an 8x10 late this summer. I am also going to buy a quality amplifyer, preferably more than 500 watts. My question is this. What are the pros and cons of having an 8x10 and a single ouput on the amplifyer vs. two 4x10's with a dual output amp.

Also as a side question, does anyone know where a good store to play 8x10's (other than SWR's or Ampegs) is in the Seattle or Everett area? I wouldn't mind shopping around.
    :)

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Uhhh...the store in the Northwest for Bass. You can guess what it's called. www.bassnw.com

I have two 4x10's and I love the portability of me being able to haul all my own gear if I have to, however, if I had roadies, I think i'd probably get a sealed 8x10. There is something about the nice sound of a sealed cabinet. If you're roadiless (or even if you aren't), i'd recommend Bergantino NV610 or the Epifani 6x10. I think both of those cabs are better than most conventional 8x10's. If price is a big issue, i'd recommend looking at an Aguilar S810. I've never played one, but I've heard good things.

3. Thats funny that you reccomended that site. I found it about two secconds before you replyed to my post. :)

a little ironic i suppose.

thanks, i'll look into that. I'm a little restricted on money, and partially relying on trade ins. i'll see what i can do though.

4. I'm a gigging bassplayer with two monster-heavy Peavey 410TVX cabinets. They each weigh about 50kg. We have some roadies/friends showing up at every show and they always complain about the weight and bulkiness of these cabinets. I'm sure they would be happier dragging around an 8x10 with casters. I could get the roadies somekinda cart though... :)

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Having had to cart an 8x10 on my own before then I'd say go with the 2 4x10 cabs. The 8x10 will sound the same (or VERY close) anyway, and if you ever have to carry the 8x10 yourself, without roadie assistance, then you'll wish you'd gone with the 2 4x10 cabs!!!

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Definitely not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I asked a similar question regarding using 2 Epi 210's or 1 Epi 410. TUrns out I had to do an A/B myself and found the 2-210 route to be just as good and more back friendly than a 410. I'd go the more modular route for options. Do you want to haul the 810 out for a 2 hour practice in a small lounge or garage??

However, I think the BEST would be a pair of Epi 310 UL's. Those are pretty impressive provided you've got the POWER to move the air. I'm a power fiend, so that's why I say that.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you have a truck or van, and EVERY gig you'll ever have does not have a staircase for the load in, then an 810 is great. Wheel it in and go. Otherwise 2 cabs is much better.

8. I was thinking that I'd keep my '63 Marshall 1x15 as sort of a collectors Item and play that in practice. Two 4x10's or two 3x10's are sounding interesting tho.

What are some powerful amps that are not on the $3000 side of things that have the dual outputs? I think i'll look into this.

9. +1

10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Used Stew 2.1, a great buy is the Mackie 1400i. I recently saw one of those for $200!! QSC RMX line, most recent PV amps. (don'tle the name fool ya! THey're making some really good stuff now a days)

11. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I would say get 2 4x10's. Play around and research alot and see what you like. I would also say to get a big power amp, a QSC PLX something or other, i have the 1202, look at something that puts out crazy watts. Because you can bridge it into one cab, or run two channels into the two cabs. Then look at pre amps, what kind of sound do you want? I have the RBI by sansamp and really love the thing. It can get a really dirty tone if dialed in, or it can be pretty clean and bassy.

Search around on here and harmonycentral.com and see what comes up.

12. pfft, that isnt that heavey, one under each arm (well, carried by the handle) is the way to go with those beasts :p

13. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Unless your going up alot of stairs, it is actually easier to make one trip with an 8x10 than 2 trips with a pair of 4x10's. All the 8x10's roll anyway and for some reason sound better than a pair of 4x10's. However, I prefer a pair of 2x10's over one 4x10. Stairs are the devil when moving a big cab. Some 4x10's like the eden stuff are really cumbersome and heavey too!

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, I've always wondered if I got 2-4x10" ampeg cabs...would it sound the same as my 8x10? I suppose with physics being so touchy, that due to all the drivers not using the same air space then it may not sound quite as loud and large. My dream has always been to make 2x10" cabs that have some kind of circuit that makes the Ohms switchable so that someone could "theoretically" use 1 or up to 8- 2x10 cabs and still keep the ohms at 4. For instance, a small coffee shop gig...bring 1-2x10". Then a concert club gig...maybe 2 or 3 - 2x10's. then for huge arenas and outdoor shows...bring 4 or as many as 8 cabs. The trick is to get the ohmage to match up. OOOPPSS There goes my patent!!! :smug:

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would bever get an 8X10.

If I was in a situation where I could afford to have a roadie, I could afford a PA and monitor system where I could go DI.

16. Not to be offensive or anything, but you guys as a general froup are kinda whiny. I could care less about carrying the 8x10 up a stair case. Sure, its hard. But just like in any other situation you need to be willing to go through some hardships wether physical or monetary in order to have good equipment. The only thing i'm worried about is being able to continuously supply myself with a vehicle that can handle the 8x10. I could also care less about having a roady. My other two bend members are far more than willing to help out. We're young, i guess that helps tho.

17. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az

You didn't need to tell us your young, it shows in your spelling and incomplete sentences. :D

Oh, but not to be offensive or anything............... :eek:

18. Some of us older folks have bad backs & the others don't want them. You want to blow your back out moving around an 8X10...fine....but you must have some grapefruits to call any of us whiny because we don't want to destroy our back, hips etc.
    We would all be twice as whiny playing bass while sitting in a wheelchair. :ninja:

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Are you seriously suggesting that you can't cause some level of permenant damage by routinely lugging an 8x10 up a flight of stairs on your own? Even with proper lifting technique?

Are you also seriously suggesting that if your back was to the stage and you were out in the crowd, that you could tell the difference between a stack of 4x10s and a single 8x10?

20. With proper lifting technique and ample muscular power to move one around it should not cause any damage to healthy person, seriously, the body is more robust than you lot seem to think