Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10.. or 2 4x10's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Nov 26, 2001.

1. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    In theory, Would there be any difference in a 8x10 and a stack of two 4x10's ?

they are all constructed with the same componets, have the same total wattage, ect.

Thanks
    '
    travis

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    That's a very controversial subject right there. If you did a search or something, you might be able to find some opinions about that. Personally, the 2 4x10s is better because:

A. Transportability
    B. Sound quality and coupling effect of 2 completely different cabinets.

Whatever floats your boat, is what matters in the end, buddy.:)

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    two 410s is a hulluva lot more expensive than an 810.... but a lot easier to lug around...
    smaller details... if you get two 410's you might end up with two horns, but most 810's have one... or zero.. if you get two 410's you can cut your speaker amount in half for smaller gigs...

and about that coupling thing.... not so... if you do some reasearch, you'll learn that ampeg 810's are seperated into 4 completely isolated 210 cabinets... SWR's 810 has two seperate 410 cabs....

i have an 810... it looks intimidating and i love it, but if i could afford two 410's... i'd probably do that instead.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Falsehood, you're absolutely correct. I would have wrote something alittle more in detail, but I had to take a crap real bad.:eek: :D

5. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i think you should definenty go with the 4x10's money is an issue but IMO you'll get an awosome sound nad if you wanted to mix it up a but you could get noe with ports and one with out which can give you a variety of different sounds. if you have to money go with the two cabs

6. I think the effect BigBohn was going for was the idea that you can hook up two totally different 4x10s with different sounds. Such as an Ampeg 4x10 with an SWR goliath. Two different cabs.

7. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    There's something about an 8x10 that sounds so... solid. I cant quite put my finger on it. But there's a big difference in sound.