Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10 or a 4x10 and 15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    For CHristmas I was thinking about getting an Ampeg 8x10. But then I heard about the whole 4x10 and 15" combo deally some people do. I was wondering, is this better? What music is this good for? Can you recommend some good amps?

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Neither one's really better than the other. The 8x10 will be punchier, and the 4x10 & 15 will have more low end. You should try both and see which one you like. Also, the 4x10 & 15 can break down and are WAY easier to transport. What kind of amp do you have now? What kind of sound are you trying to get? Have you looked at anything other than Ampeg? It would be a lot easier to recommend amps and cab choices if you answered those questions.

3. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I only have a small Practice Amp, but I have had several band offers but just don't have the equipment, but I don't want crap. I can;t really explain the sound, but I want the sound of Dirk from Incubus and Ryknow from Mudvayne, and I don;t want to just shadow the guitar. I'm looking to spend about a $1000.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if that $1000 is just for cabs, you''re good.. if you're looking to buy a head too.. it's time to go used, or lower quality...

time for the opinions...
    and 810 will work.. but don't buy an ampeg 810 unless you get the ported one... 810 PRO i believe.. i would highly recommend the SWR 810.. but that's just because i own it myself... I do have a 5 string though and it works great for me... For your sound,the important thing is that you get a ported cab if you decide to go 810.

as for the 15/410 combination... i only have experience with carvin in this config and i can tell you i didn't like it... other brands are probably fine though.

i agree with nuts in saying that ampeg probably isn't your solution.. Most of their stuff is sealed, which means punchy. This is nice for punk and rock/blues stuff, but won't be able to cut it alone for an incubus type sound... look into Eden and SWR, and Warwick if you can get your hands on it... and as always try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on before you buy anything... if you buy something based solely on TB-ers opinions.. you won't be fully satisified i promise

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Take my experience and advice close to heart. I was just like you in the beginning, lovin' that big ol' 8x10, the Megoliath to be specific. Sounded great in the store, awesome low B, tons on volume, punch, yada yada yada. Then reality set in, and transportability became an issue. I need something that sounds very badass, loud, clean tone, and small or transportable. I ended up making a decision on the Eden D-410XLT because it had 1 of the same qualities as the Megoliath did, to my ear, it sounded like the bass was coming from around you, or surrounding you, rather than any other cab that projects the sound right at you. I liked that about the Eden, and maybe later I'll add another 4x10, which would increase the punchiness, or more likely, add an 18" or 15" sub to it. I say go for portability, because unless you got roadies and a huge panel van to truck this stuff around in, unlike most of us musicians, the 4x10/15"or18" route is the way to go.

6. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ok, If I were to get an Eden 4x10 and 15" Sub, which ones should I get?

7. hah! i think you're gonna go the same route as me, i'm gonna go with an eden 4X10 and then possibly a 15 for some really crushing lows. it all really depends, but so far it seems like eden's got some damn good highs and mids, so an extra 15 cab will help me get some really great lows to counter that.

edit: carvin has some good prices on their 15s, but if you want to try stuff out if you live near a guitar center they always have lots of ampeg 15s in stock.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    WOA WOA WOA... one quick point.. an ampeg 15 is NOT a carvin 15.... i've owned a carvin.. and that thing bottomed out everytime I hit any note on my B string below F. I was putting 300 watts into it, not turned up all the way, and its supposed to be a 600 watt cabinet... moral of the story.... a 15 might be good for you.. but IMO, with a 5 string, a carvin 15 is NOT the way to go... they're cheap for a reason, and you'll learn it the first time you try to get any amount of decent volume out of it.

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I forgot to ask what kind of bass you're playing. Edens sound good, but I think they're a little overrated. They have a hi-fi sound, but they don't seem to cut through as well. The mids just aren't there. If you want to get loud and be heard, I'd definitely recommend Mesa Boogie and SWR as an alternative to Ampeg. If they're too expensive, give Peavey a shot. You can get really loud with some serious low end through a single 4x10. For less than $500, you could try a Peavey 4x10 or 4x12 with a huge bottom vent. They're not Mesa Boogies or SWRs, but they can still get loud and shake the room. And they're practically indestructable. If you've got the cash, I'd opt for something a little better than the Peaveys, but they're nothing wrong with 'em, and if you want to get a good amp with the cab(s), it may be your best choice. If you're still stuck on wanting an 8x10, consider two 4x10s for portability. In the end, use your ears. Don't buy something really cheap just because you can afford it and then be stuck bitching about how crappy it sounds, and don't buy something too expensive for you first big rig and then be stuck bitching about how you have no money and how the $3000 stack you have doesn't sound any better than the stuff you tryed that only costed $1300.
    Edit: I knew I'd get nailed for the eden thing, but it just an opinion- you have yours and I have mine. I tried 'em and that what I though. If it means that much to you, continue to freak out. It's just a cab my friend...

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    huh??? what?!?!? I think you are so wrongfully mistaken I am aghast, and so would nearly all the members on this forum be. The Edens are known for their incredible cutting power in a band situation, and to top the cake off, many people say the Edens are too low-mid attenuated, so they turn it down. Maybe you should re-evaluate Eden cabs and think about what you just said again.

11. I've never really been too impressed by the Eden cabs either--they just sound blah. I like what I have better; vive la difference.

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    lol, at both of you. hehe:)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oops ... almost forgot!

14. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Munji, Whats in that setup? (I know they're Eden's, but I want to know the exact number and stuff)

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    See, there IS a purpose in relentlessly posting these things. That particular setup is an Eden WT-300 Traveler head with a Korg DTR-1 tuner in the same rack. It's sitting on an Eden D-410XLT which is, in turn, sitting on an Eden D-212XLT. I've since sold the 212 to our sound man (it's just not my cup of tea ... too much mid), and replaced it with a D-210XLT and a D-115XL. I still have the 410. So now I can play all different types of venues, using just the 210 for small stuff, just the 410 or 210+115 on the medium stuff, and outdoors, I've found the 210+410 to work best. These are all 8-ohm cabs, so the mix'n'match works fine. Never had a problem with loudness. I run through the PA outdoors.

I went over to a dealer today who had 50% off on all Eden (and other) stuff, but he had already blown out his last WT-800. If I ever upgrade this rig, that'll be it.

Getting back to your original question, ditch the 810 idea. Oh, sure, an Eden D-810XLT would really hit the spot sound-wise, but I've heard about too many of even the younger set shedding their 810s because of their bulk. Judas, it makes my back hurt just thinking about it. I'd either go with an SWR Goliath Senior 610 or a 210 and a 410. At most, two 410's would be fine. I was thinking it might be cool to get a D-410XST to pair up with my XLT. I won't, but you can.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah, here's the 210+115 setup for you and funkycarnivore.

17. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I was just over at Guitar Center and I played expecting to play through ANY Eden 4x10 that was there but there wasnt and the floor guy couldn't find one. SO i ended up playing through a 2x15 with a tweeter. I really liked the sound, but I don't know if that is the right way to go. Would a 2x15 and a 4x10 be too much? IS a 2x15 that big of a difference over a 1x15?

18. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Only you can answer that. Are you playing in front of a lot of people in a big room? Can you afford to transport the cabs? Can you afford the cabs?

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    that was....so beautiful.....*cries a tear of happiness*

20. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    whats the difference between an Eden XLT and XST?