Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10, or what to plug in next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Dec 13, 2001.

1. I'm looking to flick my Ampeg 4x10 and upgrade to a locally made 8x10 (Eminence speakers, built as a lightweight copy of an Ampeg 8x10).

Now, with my Eden WT800 (400w/4ohms per side or 800w/8ohms bridged), should I get a 4ohmn cabinet (leaving one side of the amp "free") or an 8ohm (taking advantage of the bridging and higher output)? If the cabinet is rated high enough, would there be any *noticable* audible difference between running 400w/4ohm ~vs~ a 800w/8ohm?

Would there be any benefits of going either way? I was thinking of another 4x10 but I think i'd find i'd be running both 99% of the time so an 8x10 is probably an easier option.
    I also figure an 8ohm cabinet might give me more flexibility (to a degree)...would there be any point in running one from only one side of the amp? (~275w)

Just trying to nut out options...

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If your 8x10 is the only cabinet you plan to run in the biggest gigs, and you're happy with your WT800, then I think 8 ohms would be the best option. You'd get the maximum output of the bridged Eden that way. Make sure the cabinet is capable of handling it, though.
    - Mike

3. That's my leaning...would I have problems (balance, mainly) if I decided to run an 8ohm 8x10 from one side of the WT800, and, say a 4 or 8ohm 2x15 from the other? (I know the amp will handle it, but will the other-2x15-side of the amp overpower the 8ohm 8x10 side?)

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It isn't possible to answer the balance question without a lot more information. It depends on the relative sensitivity ratings (if honest) of the cabinets, the respective frequency response curves, and the spectral content of your signal. But with a stereo head, luck is on your side, because you can adjust the channels independently to get just the right balance. A really reckless guess is that a 4-ohm 2x15 would work well against an 8-ohm 8x10, since the latter is likely to be somewhat more efficient over most of the frequency range of interest. If you get a really good 2x15 that is especially strong in the bottom octave, the combination will be very persuasive, I'd expect.
    - Mike

5. Sweet! Thanks for that. Now that i've got an amp that finally delivers for me, I just wanna choose the best option to cover future use (our band is ramping up quite quickly)...and since prices here are pretty high, and selection low, I wanna do it right the first time! :)