Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10 plans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lex_the_punk, Jan 31, 2002.

1. hey guys,

i was just wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction in finding some plans for building an 8x10 cab, or even any speaker cab building advice. it's actually for a school project...i get to build any piece of musical equipment i want. AND keep it! amazing huh? oh yeah...

anywayz, any info would be much appreciated

later
    lexy

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    As far as I know, it's in large done by computer programs.

I'm sure Bgavin, or Joris could give you a hand, though. :)

3. Link to Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on Parts Express

This is the best price I've seen on this book.

You are undertaking a Masters in Brain Surgery in your high school class. There is a lot of knowledge and understanding that goes into the design and construction of a bass cabinet. The above book will give you the majority of what you need to know about design.

IMO, an 8x10 is a putz extension, and impractical. Again, this is my opinion. It must be heavily braced to support those 8 baffle cutous, must be huge to accomodate the 8 drivers, and will be expensive to buy those 8 drivers. It will be a huge and heavy pain in the butt to haul around. In short, an albatross.

First, determine your needs. Lowest frequency, loudness, then figure how much size and weight you can deal with. My subs are 135 pounds each, and everything I can do to move them by myself. Stairs are out of the question. I'll stay home before I lug 'em up stairs.

Grab my reference spread sheet from my signature and check the DRIVERS tab. You can sort it by size, low frequency response, etc etc. If you are a 4-string player, give some real consideration to the drivers that have an F3 around 41 Hz in a sealed box. Vented boxes are much more difficult to design and build correctly. A sealed box with F3 of 41 Hz will give you wonderful, tight bass all the way to your low E string.

You can reduce the size of a sealed box by 30% by stuffing it with Fiber Fill at the rate of 1.0 ~ 1.5 pounds per cubic foot of cabinet volume.

4. bgavin, thanks heaps for your info man, i will be sure to go through it extensively when i get the chance, and hopefully i can pick up that book sometime. i know that it will seem like a Master's Degree in Brain Surgery whilst i'm building this cab, but take into account that i have almost a year to complete it for assessment at school. and i've also got one advantage over everyone else: the CHAMPIONS at TALKBASS.COM!!! oh yeah, you heard me right...

and everyone else, don't be afraid to share anything else that you can, i'd love all the info and any of the info i can get!

later
    lexy

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i can't tell you exactly why, but follow the industry leaders and don't make all 8 speakers in the same enclosure.. SWR's 810 has 2 seperate 410 enclosures with 2 ports each. AMpeg's 810's all have seperate 210 compartments, and either the bottom 210, or none of them are ported.
    SO my suggeston is that you baffle your 810 into either 2 410 or 4 210 compartments.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Wouldn't that only complicate things, Falsehood?

I'm ignorant on the "Tech guru" type stuff, but as far as I've known, he'd have to take into account the coupling, then, which would only further complicate things...

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea it might complicate the construction process, but there is only one 810 on the marked that doesn't have baffles on the inside, and that's the carvin.

Its known, if you visit the Carvin forums, that the one ventt in the bottom along with the fact that all 8 speakers are in the same compartment leads to a standing wave inside the cabinet that can blow the top 2 speakers quite easily.
    Im not claiming to know exactly how it works, but if the all of the best speaker cab companies are using baffled compartmens, you probably should too.

8. hey thanks again guys. just wondering exactly what kind of speakers you would suggest i use. i was thinking about<and i must admit i'm pretty much sold on these already> the eminence alpha pro 10's. nice lo end, pretty good highs, ok power handling etc etc, these would do a good job i think. and also, more a question for bgavin if he's listening, how good is that program on your link? i mean, is it real technical or is it not too difficult to use? i think i really need something like that to help me on my way.

thanks in anticipation
    lexy

9. Alpha 10s have lousy bass response.

Design programs are like surgical tools: the skill is with the surgeon.

WinISD has a pretty interface, but is known to be dead wrong in some of its plots. Perfect Box v4.56 is correct, and I've built a very extensive amount of different drivers into the its database. Robert Bullock's program is very effective, especially for maximum driver displacement and vent velocity, but is real clunky to use. Perfect Box is also a DOS program, but less clunky.