8x10 reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking into getting an 8x10 cab in the future, and am looking around at SWR, Ampeg, Eden, ect. and I'm wondering what you guys would reccomend as an 8x10 cab, and the head to drive that bad boy.

Mainly getting a big rig because one of my guitarist just got 4x12 500watter, my other if going to get another monster guitar rig soon, and my current amp will be left in the cold. (Need to upgrade, improve)

(The buying of this setup and the subsequent hiring of roadies will not be coincidence:))
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    The main thing to remember is how much of a bastard that thing is going to be to move around: sure it sounds great and moves tons of air, but if you can't get it to the gig, what does it matter? Personally, since it sounds like you like 10's, I'd go for two 4x10" cabinents. This would make it much more portable, plus you would have the option of only using a single cabinent for smaller/quieter gigs.

But, if you're set on an 8x10", I've heard really positive things about SWR's Megoliath. I've also heard good things about the Eden 8x10".

I guess for an amp, I'd probably go with something around the likes of an Ampeg SVT-4PRO, SWR SM-900, or a Sunn 1200S. I'm not really familiar with Eden amps, but I think that one of them is up there around 800-900 watts as well. Otherwise, you might go the amp/pre-amp route. Invest in a really nice pre-amp (such as an Eden, SWR, Ampeg, or a Aguilar) and then just get a clean-sounding power-amp. Whenever you need more power, just swap out you're power amp.

Anyway, you're options are going to be limited to you're money. Find out what you really want. If you don't have enough money for it then save up, you won't regret it.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think there are a lot of tradeoffs with these cabinets. Obviously, size is not an issue for you - all of them are big. Weight varies a bit, and might be a consideration. There are too many variables involved without more information from you about cost limits, weight limits, need for a certain maximum dB level, the type of music you play, what type of bass you play, etc.

I will show numbers for 4 cabinets I have information on. This information is to the best of my knowledge. I welcome any corrections.

Ampeg SVT 810 __________________________
    _ Weight: 165 lbs.
    _ Cost: $1280 list
    _ Sensitivity: 100 dB
    _ Freq. Response: 60-5k Hz (-3 dB)
    _ Power Handling: 800 Watts RMS

Ampeg PR810H __________________________
    _ Weight: 212 lbs.
    _ Cost: $2250 list
    _ Freq. Response: 42-18k Hz (-3 dB)
    _ Power Handling: 1200 Watts RMS

SWR Megoliath __________________________
    _ Weight: 150 lbs.
    _ Cost: $2000 list (keeps changing, I think)
    _ Freq. Response: 37-13k Hz (+/- 3 dB)

Eden 810XLT __________________________
    _ Weight: 200 lbs.
    _ Cost: $1750 list
    _ Sensitivity: 108 dB
    _ Freq. Response: 52-14k Hz (+/- 2 dB)

Other considerations: size/shape, handles, durability, appearance, reputation of manufacturer, actual street/used/deal price, etc. ...

While I think the Ampeg PR810 is a beautiful cabinet, its performance vs. weight and cost is not too compelling (to me, anyway). If the Eden's sensitivity is accurate, that would be the choice for the ultimate volume output (if linear with wattage, it would achieve 139 dB at full power). That is scary (and if you need that much volume, it's likely that something is wrong with either your sound guy, your band, or with your mental health!). The Megoliath appears to have the flattest overall response.

For most straight rock applications, the Ampeg SVT might be the best value. If you need a broader frequency response, you might think about the others. If the respective manufacturers are comparing "apples to apples", the others would not hold a candle to the Eden in terms of efficiency. However, I have no idea if these were measured in the same way.

Maybe with these major numbers in one place it will be easier for you to compare them.
    - Mike

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    White Knight, that might be something to look into (2 4x10s)
    and MikeyD thanks for the info...I'm always open for sugestions here (particularly the ones that save me money)

WK, is there any 4x10 you would recomend that stack well? And If I got 4x10s, and a huge head, would I over power just one of the 4x10s (if, like you sugested, I went with one instead of two)

Mikey, I play rock, and though It's heavy I like highs and mids that can cut through, as well as bottom that won't get lost in the mix. The bass? Most likely a Singray 5. The Height and wieght are as little as possible. Pice isn't really a factor (since I don' have the money and will be working for a while, it's all just a matter of waiting for it) though I'd like to go with the biggest bang for my buck sound wise, and size wise. The volume/power on any of them is sufficeint for what I'm looking at. What would you do in my situation?
  5. Hi Brendon, I never played with 8-10s. The size and weight was prohibitive, but I had 2 hHartke 4.5 Xl's and they rocked. I think your tastes are simelar to mine kinda want the best of both worlds. I recently traded the 2 cabs for an Eden D215XLT, and mated it with an Acme Low-B2. I only played out once with it, and so far, so good. I like loud rock, and also have too loud bandmates. With this I use an Eden WP100 Navigator preamp, and a WT1000 power amp. I can get vintage rock sound to Hi-Fi sound. The EQ, channel bal, and the power amp has vol. & tone balance controls. I think this setup is easier to lug around than an 8-10, and is more versitile. Plus, I can split it up for smaller gigs, and use the 2-15 with my Ampeg V-4 tube head for all tube vintage rock sounds. The 2-15 is rated at 103 dB which is very efficient, and loud. I hope this helps.
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, for 4x10's, I'd first reccommend getting two of the same brand. If that's not the way you want to go, then just make sure that they're the same dimensions so that the locking corners will work together. There a tons of good 4x10's out there, a few that are getting really good reviews are:

SWR Goliath III
    Eden 410 XLT
    Hartke 4.5 XL (don't mistake this for the TP, reviews aren't nearly as good for the Transporter series)
    Ampeg 4x10 HLF
    Gallien-Krueger (can't remember the model number right now, I think it's something like 410 RBH).

Anyway, there's others out there as well that are just as good, so do your research!

As for the amp, you have two options. Either get a stereo amplifier and then make sure that each seperate channel has an equilivant or lower rating than your cabinents wattage-wise. Or, just use a standard mono (or stereo-bridged) amp and keep the volume down to a reasonable level. For example: you cab is 500 watts. Your amp is rated at 1000. I'd turn the volume up slowly, keeping it around halfway or a little less. If you hear audible distortion coming from the cabinent, then turn your amp down. Just because you have all of that power doesn't mean that you always have to use all of it! :)

BTW, here's some links:
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Check this out.

I don't know how it sounds (Bass Player gave it a good review a while back) but, It might be your least costly option.

(P.S. I'm not connected to this auction in any way - I've just been hunting for a Nemesis 4x10 and stumbled upon this.)
  8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Look man I see you've been given all kinds of advice, but at one time I was exactly were you are now. Wanted and loved the sound of 8-10's and but hated to weight and bulk of it. Also I took in on the idea of having a road case for the thing, cause if I put that kind of money down, I wanted it protected. The one solution I had was Mesa Boogie's Road Ready 4-10's. There built in road cases the4-10's are loud as hell(1200 WATTS together) and they push air. This company might not sell have fixed prices but I've never heared or owned better sounding cabinets in my life. I used to own Ampegs SVT810E and they eat them for lunch:eek:. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/bass_cabs.html#A-RR check them out here the address. Good luck with what ever you choose.

[Edited by FiXeR on 01-07-2001 at 09:45 PM]
  9. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i wouldn't go for a 810 in my opinion. For bass, you need a 15" speaker for lower frequencies. The maximum any bass player needs is about an swr big ben and swr golliath jr III. I saw one today and that is all a bass player will ever need, plus it has the best sound. So i say go for a 15-18" with a 10" and a tweeter. The 810 only cover mid frequencies. I know people who had 810 and 8 8s and hated them. The swr triad is pretty good. Plus mesa boogie and ampeg make some pretty good cabs.
  10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I to like 15' speaker, don't get me wrong but I've always had a hard time hearing them in the mix. I've never even considered recommending one to the lister because he said he wanted a 8 or 4-10 cabnet;)....did'nt he?:confused:
  11. In certain styles of music, especially in rock music.
    10" speakers work best for rock because of the quicker response and attack. You don't find many rockers playing with 15's or 18's and bi-amping with 10's. Raggae and Jazz is much more common to use the bi-amp configuration but going full range with 10's is the norm for rock. So, it depends on the style of music. Also, if you get a front ported 8x10 then you'll get a better low end response.
  12. I say go with an Eden WT-800, and two d-410xlt's (both 4ohms). That way, if you need both 4x10's, you got 800 watts, but if you need only 1 4x10, then you can just use one side, and have 400 watts.