1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8x10 SVT mod.. Purists gonna hate (warning ampeg modifications)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, Aug 19, 2017.

1. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Sooo, I'm pretty big on Ampeg equipment and when I was pointed to an SVT classic 8x10 because it was very inexpensive ($399usd) and in nice shape I purchased it. When I started using it I found it didn't have the low end my other cabinets had (I know it's not supposed to, but that's okay) I was somewhat dissapointed in the sound.
    Well today I modified it and be it as it may I expect there are going to be some naysayers here.
    So, what I did.
    Bottom 4x10s, replaced with Eminence Beta 10s and ported the two sealed cabinets with 2" ports. Bottom 4 speakers when run separately are 2 ohms (so I'm getting the full 700 watts from 1 channel the Peavey DPC1400X I use) the top is still 8 ohms and I'm getting more than enough power from the DPC for the top 4 speakers.
    When I tested it I'm getting much more low end response from the lower cabinet as I was expecting and when run in tandem with the top 4 the frequency response from the entire cabinet is much more acceptable and full. Like it or not, I'm very satisfied with the outcome. This configuration will serve me well.

20170819_100549.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    JMacBass65, qersty, SirMjac28 and 3 others like this.
  2. Interesting idea, did you cut the right sized holes for the internal volume? I once saw a cab with removable ports, thought that was a great idea, you could have your cake and eat it to. I once cut an SVT 8 x 10 in half, was a stupid idea wasn't any easier to move, in fact it might have been even harder.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I did not do the calculations, but with that being said I have built cabinets before that I ported with triangular ports and then changed my mind later and re-ported with round ports. When I did so, I used the cutouts that I had still in my scrap bin and used them to fill in the old ports and then replace with round. I've saved the plugs I cut out with the hole saw just in case and could have repaired them had this project failed to work or if I decided to return it to stock.

4. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I had considered a second set of 2" ports depending on how it sounded after I tested it with just 1 2" port per cabinet but was satisfied with the outcome and decided not to.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm very upset. I demand you remove the Ampeg badge from your cab.

:D

Actually, if it works out to your liking, that's very cool. Should point out that unless you did something to the top half, it should be 8 ohms by itself, not 4.

6. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yes, the top is 8 ohms, bottom is 2. Works out well for that amp and the levels I'm running each section at. May even run my SVP-CL into the bottom and my SVP-PRO to the top, clean and dirty.

7. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    @JimmyM
    It's nice to have the low end and the growl all in the same cab. I don't mic the cab so I'm not worried about signal to the board, that'll always be direct.

8. Oh come on it's not like it's a 50 year old bass. You bought it, the way i see it it's yours to do with whatever you want.

I used an 810e for ten years. I get what you mean about the stock 810e sound. I run the 410he which is sealed with the ported 15 now. Works for me. The 15 just adds a bit of roundness the 410 doesn't have. I played gigs With an ampeg 810,610,410he, 410he X2, 15, 15x2 and the 410hlf. This combination just Happen to be my favorite. Btw I almost did just that when I was gigging with two 410he cabs. Everyone here said I was crazy but if you like it that's awesome.

IMG_3301.JPG

SirMjac28 and jazzbass_5 like this.
  9. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yeah, it's all good, I have 4 other cabs I use too (2, 4x10s, 1, 4x12 and a 2x10) so it's not like it's an issue. I just like messing with things and thought I could have some fun with this cabinet.. it worked!

Nephilymbass likes this.
  10. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    20170716_080648.

gelinas666, Nashrakh and Nephilymbass like this.
  11. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Hey if it works and sounds good to you that's all that matters. Rock you rig and be proud

Part-time punk and jazzbass_5 like this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You modified it? :eek: *gasp* How dare you treat the equipment you own as if you own it?

Nephilymbass and jazzbass_5 like this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    With a heavier bottom end, I'd worry about the cab being harder to move. But with the ports cut out in the front, it weighs less which helps balance it out. Sounds like a win-win situation.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Those ports are pretty small- not experiencing any "chuff"? It'd be easy to try different lengths of tubing to check out frequency response differences. Nice.

agedhorse and jazzbass_5 like this.
  15. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yeah, lol, lighter.. I'm working on motorized casters next. Like these, Remove them from this stair climbing hand cart and reto fit them to the cabinet, maybe then a remote control, load in from the car. Even better, fly it in with a quadcopter.
    Screenshot_2017-08-20-07-46-32-1.

SirMjac28 and beans-on-toast like this.
  16. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I actually have 2" PVC that I could use, essentially all I did was open up the chambers enough to give the 10s room to breath, better low end response then the seal cab, no rocket science really. Havent heard any chuffing noises and if I do hear that I can smooth out the holes.
    My previous builds I've used 4" PVC for the ports and I usually round the port edges to eliminate any noise from air movment.

da old guy likes this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Oh man, I'm thinking a remote controlled cab! You could have it motoring around while you play.

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  18. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    HA!, better yet, ride around ON it! Could make for the greatest bass solo ever.

S-Bigbottom and beans-on-toast like this.
  19. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    If it sounds good, IT IS GOOD :)

jazzbass_5 and Coolhandjjl like this.
  20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Those betas have a good time for bass.