1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8x10 to 6x10? Is it smart? Possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrianToska, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I just spent a good amount of time searching but I couldn't find anything on this question. I find it hard to believe nobody has ever had this question so I apologize if this is a repeat.

My dilemma: I have a Peavey 810tx that I got for a pretty low reasonable price. I've been using it for local gigs and practices but after doing a two week tour with this behemoth I feel like something smaller would be more efficient. I am in a punk-ish style band so stage sound is important and being loud and heard is very important.

My question: Could I take my 8x10 and kind of splice it into a 6x10? What would the complications be? Would there be any amp threatening situations? Should I just forget this whole idea?

2. the only potential problem would be the ohm rating. I would change because the load of the two removed speakers....

3. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've been playing for a long time, I just have never taken the time to learn anything about amplification and now I'm kicking myself.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah it depends on how it is wired.

But I would think it would be a lot of messy work to not only cut it, but put it back together and make it look neat.......... all for dropping two speakers and a foot or so of height. Seems like WAY past the point of diminishing returns. A lot of Peavey stuff is just heavy. Not much you can do about it. A really good cab to me is the Peavey 4-10TVX. That thing sounds GREAT for the money. But is is heavy as crap.

And for the price of neo drivers to put in the cab you could just buy a lighter one.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

5. Pass. For what you are going to spend on the cab and the time mod'ing it you should just go find a different cab.

6. +1
    Maybe consider two 212's or two 410's. Modular and easy to move and/or downsize as needed.

7. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the input guys. I am a big DIYer but if the people of TB tell me I'm wrong, then I am indeed wrong. I guess I could sell it and get a 6x10. Money is too tight right now to just buy another cab outright.

8. How much are you actually looking to spend?

9. Honestly, it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Any way you do it, it is going to cost you a lot of money and/or a lot of time. Ampeg, SWR, and even Fender make 6x10 cabs that will probably suit you better. It's best to find a cab that will compliment your head, that will give you the most efficient mix of loudness and clarity.

10. I'm currently converting a 10 year old Ashdown ABM 810 into a 610 and 210 for a local pro.

Yes, it's messy and kind of a pain but it's worth it to him because it has THAT sound he needs. It's also a very well built cabinet using serious Baltic birch plywood. It needs also to be refinished as the tolex is completely shot. But it is doable.

For the OP I'd say go with a Peavey TVX 410 if you like the Peavey sound. Not worth cutting into and modding an MDF cab if you ask me. Plus they're inexpensive and can be found pretty easily.

11. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX

I'm not really looking to spend enough to get a decent cabinet.

12. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've used a owned a few 4x10 cabs and I prefer 6x10 and 8x10. Just sounds better and is easier to hear IMO

13. No worries, if that's what works for you, rock it :D

The thing to keep in mind is you're only going to drop maybe 40 or so lbs if you cut the cab. The cab I'm working on was 160 lbs and going to 610 it weighs a bit over 100 lbs. Not an enormous savings in weight :meh:

If you're using a ss amp that's 4 ohm capable (can't think of many that aren't) then working w/5.3 ohms (six 8 ohm drivers in series/parallel) is no problem.

If you're really set on cutting that cab, PM me and I can show how I"m doing it since I'm photodoc'ing the process.