1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8x10 VS 2x15 CAB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skullheadrac, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 8x10

50.6%
  2. 2x15

49.4%
  1. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    Alright, from my understanding the most common preference is a 4x10 cab with a 1x15 to accompany it. What if you could only choose between an 8x10 and a 2x15? No horns with either.
    Which would it be and why?

2. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've never been a fan of mismatched cabs, but that's just me. If I had to choose between an 8x10 and a 2x15, I'd go with the 8x10. No huge reason, but there are some small ones. I've used one in the past and I really liked it. They're fairly close in size anyway. They're very common and used ones are extremely cheap when compared to smaller cabs, so if you have your tone the way you like it and something happens to yours, it's pretty easy to replace.

Plectrum72, Skullheadrac and sigterm like this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    You’ll learn on here that most people will say a 410 and a 15 is a bad combination. For some reason, mixing speaker sizes gives a bad result (never my experience but I never hated Rics and much as I do now since joining). I will agree there a bit of danger involved in that you’ll hear the 410 much more than you’ll hear the 15 so it could be easier to blow the 15. Anyways... on to your question.

For me it would depend on which brand of 215 or 810 cab, the venue, and the music. I simply LOVE my Mesa SW115 cab and could only imagine what 2 of them would be like. I admit I’ve never played through a 215 cab so I can’t give a definitive answer. I HAVE however played through an Ampeg 810, a Mesa 810, an SWR 810, and a MarkBass 810. Every single one was a joy to rock on stage. The Mesa was more my taste. A bit more growly with a FAT bottom end. The Mark Bass was surprisingly good too. Smaller size so super easy to move around, but not as deep sounding. Ok can’t go wrong with an Ampeg 810. Classic. Punchy. The SWR was strange. There was this lack of upper midrange thing going on, but had tons of Highs and Low Mids.

I’d love to play through a 215 cab sometime but I doubt it’ll ever happen. All my bass players buddies have gone the same route I have i.e. light weight cabs and/or combos.

TheBear, 10cc and Rebel Rocker like this.
  4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's debatable.

A lot would depend on which ones. Given the no tweeter comment, I'm guessing you have specific models in mind?

monsterthompson likes this.
  5. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    A lot would depend on which ones. Given the no tweeter comment, I'm guessing you have specific models in mind?[/QUOTE]

No brand or model in mind. I'm curious to see the general consensus out there between the two.

6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think you'll find that it's pretty much impossible to make any sort of decision just based on speaker size and quantity. It's very likely that the 810 will be more sensitive and may be louder given the same amp power level, but even that's really not a 100% certainty - and that says nothing of tone.

GMC and monsterthompson like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Speaker size alone seldom will tell you much about tone. Every cab is different.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I can't think of a much worse match than a 4x10 with a 1x15. It's not so much driver size, it's driver quantity. Assuming all other things are equal, a 115 will reach its limit well before the 410. A 210 is a better match for a 115 if you must mix driver sizes.

Luciferiad, jjace1313, El-Bob and 6 others like this.
  9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh, and welcome to Talkbass! :)

Skullheadrac likes this.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    +1,000,000

Listen with your ears and not your eyes.

bjelkeman, FugaziBomb and GlennRH like this.
  11. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Find a used Bergantino NV610 and you’ll be in heaven. Easy to move (tilt back and wheels), light (<100 lbs) for such a substantial cab. The punchiest sealed cab ever. Makes an Ampeg 810 sound like a child’s toy.

12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Speaker size means absolutely nothing!

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'd pick a good 810 over a bad 215, and a good 215 over a bad 810.

Except I wouldn't pick either; I'd choose a pair of smaller, matched cabs, for ease of transport.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

I choose 2x15 but would rather have two 2x12 cabinets. Flexibility, weight and range.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Unfortunately, the preference for a 4x10 + 1x15 is indeed common, but as others have pointed out there are numerous reasons why it is a bad idea -- and, I'll add, zero reasons it is a good one. When people suggest it, it is almost always based on the long-discredited myth that you need 10s for highs and mids and 15s for lows. This just isn't true of full-range speakers: There are plenty of tinny sounding cabs with 15s and deep-sounding cabs with 10s (or even 6s).

Also, a fairer comparison would be two 15s versus a 4x10 (or two 2x10s), not versus an 8x10. The speaker area of a 15 is roughly comparable to that of two 10s, and speaker area is one of those most important determinants of potential volume. An 8x10 vs. a 2x15 isn't a fair fight.

All other things equal, my preference is a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s.

16. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    If it's only 2x15 or 810 I'll take 810. I played a 2x15 rig for a number of years and I've never owned an 810 but have played them as part of a supplied backline. 2x15 is good but an 810 has that extra something. I also like the response of 10's better than 15's.

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Both will be large.
    Both will be loud, or should be.
    Which you like better will depend on *which* 215 or *which* 810, and your ears.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Replacing all the speakers in a 2x15s will cost me much less money than replacing all of them in an 8x10s...so 2x15s has my vote (I also own one that I love)

superheavyfunk and mbelue like this.
  19. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    It is common knowledge around these parts that 10's don't put out enough lows, 15's don't put out enough highs, and sarcasm doesn't read well in text. Good day, sir.