8x10 vs. 410 + 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Yes, yes, I know I just had a post similar to this, but I have now been pursuaded towards an 8x10. So which do you think would be more effective and tonal? Btw, I think I may be getting Ampeg, just to give you an idea.
  2. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i had to make the same decision u did my friend, with 8x10s the all your sound is coming out of thoughs speakers (lows, mids, highs) and the speaker can only move outward so much. Bi-amping gives the lows to your 15 and the mids and highs to your 4x10 giving your cabs way less stress and nicer sound tone. than again your the one who is picking the tone u want. :bassist:
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To me, it's "bam, bam, bam" vs. the "boom, boom, thud" of a 15" (my choice).

Either way, just remember - if one or more of your 10's blows during a gig with the 8x10 you're stuck with it. With two cabs, your sound doesn't have to be raggedty just because one cab blew a speaker...or two...or three...or, well, you get the idea.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Plus, there's the portability issue. Maybe you don't want to be lugging around a 200lb cab... that is if that would be a problem for you.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I vote for 3x10 over 2x12, just so you know there's lots of options out there. :)

1) If portability is an issue, two separate cabs will be easier, whether it's 4x10/1x15 or 4x10/4x10.

2) If portability is not an issue, let your ears decide. Note however that the best test is in a gig/rehearsal situation with the rest of the band playing. One thing I've noticed is that larger diameter speakers can sound great when playing solo, but they can rumble and get lost in the mix in a gig. But that's me; I knew a guy who loved his pair of folded 18" cabs.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here's a vote from one highly satisfied 8x10 customer. To me, the sound of a 15 tends to get lost, but 8 10's will punch ya right in the gut and you know exactly what's hitting you!

I'd be more adamant about going with 10's if you played 4 string - but I think it's still a viable choice for a 5-stringer.

Plus, if you get your 8 10s by having 2 4x10 cabs, you can keep a cab at two locations (like home and rehearsal space) and just haul your amp between the two, and pair them together for gigs.

There's my 2¢, anyway!
  7. Thanks for all the replies guys, I am more confused than ever, lol!!! Anyways, I guess I will just wait to see the prices I can get from my hook up at GC and go from there. Portability isn't a huge issue since I have a GMC Suburban and I would most likely keep the cab in my garage, but who knows.
  8. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I'm contemplating the same thing, Nuttboy311

one thing I will suggest:

Try to buy from somewhere that will offer say a 30-day money back/trade in guarantee..

so you go to Bebop's House of Cabs and pick up an ampeg classic 115 and 410, Bebop helps you load them into the suburban.

you get home and can barely lift them out (right away you think "hmm, a tall 810 i could have just tipped down from the gate and rolled on its wheels" - hence not having to actually lift)

you get the idea..

maybe you're just curious after playing the 115+410 as to how the 810 would compare.. well, because Bebop's House of Cabs gave you that 30 day money back/trade in guarantee,you decide to go trade them in for a 810...

so you get the 810 home.. sure is nice not having to really lift anything.. you like the tall cab.. get to jamming and dont like the 810's, you want the low end from a 15, but you want a tall cab, so you call Bebop up.. whadoya know?! Bebops gotta 115+410 cab (same size of an 810)..

anyways, you get the idea (again)

like those before me said/posted, are you gonna want to bi-amp? what amp do you plan on using.. are the power sections of that amp gonna be enough for each cab?

ie: you get home with a 115 and 410 and 800rb all ready to bi-amp.. but the 100watt secion isnt enough power to run your highs to the 410, see what I meen?

so many options, it's especially frustrating while not knowing what it is you are after.

here is what I think would be a good setup, but only theoretically:

lows to a 115+210 (15" lowness, still 10" punchiness)
    mids/highs to a 210

that's just a thought..

lots of 4x10's now a days are capable of producing lower frequencies than many 15's can, so you might want say lows to a 410hlf and highs to a 410e..

or many are turning from the old 15" bottom to a 212 bottom because they feel the 212 is pleanty low, but doesnt get lost in the mix like a 15 does.

good luck though, I quit thinking about it cause I cant afford anything right now anyways.. if the time comes where in which I need to get some cabs (tour) I will see what is available at that time, and go from there.