1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8x10 vs.....8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DreadyDiggs, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Okay, so a local bass player I know is selling his old 8x10 and head. I have an 8x10, but I'm debating buying his rig for a number of reasons.

He's selling a Hartke VX810 and a Hartke HA5500. What I currently have is a Fender Pro 8x10 (not the neo bassman).

The reasons I'm contemplating the buy are:

His gear is Hartke. My head is a LH1000.

Buying his gear would allow me to have two giggable heads. Right now I only have my LH. If anything happens to it, it'll probably be at the wrong time and I'll be stuck trying to rush getting it fixed, or renting.

His 8x10 weighs roughly 147lbs. Mines is around 200. So weight savings are there.

Now what I don't like about that Hartke 8x10 is that it does not have recessed handles at the bottom. It's got some on the sides, but that just seems weird to me. It's also rated for less wattage (800) than the Fender (1000) and 300 watts less than the Hartke puts out in bridge mode (1100). I plan to use his HA5500 as a backup, not as my main workhorse. I'm trying to go play through the rig this weekend (through my amp and his), as I've yet to hear it.

If anyone here already has experience with both of these rigs, would you care to share your knowledge? My rig asthetics would improve with a Hartke badged cab, but I also can debadge the Fender, just been lazy about that.

2. Lindex

Lindex

Nov 27, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    If this is important to you, you might try to find a TecAmp L810 which is only 86lbs...just as an idea...

MattZilla likes this.
  3. I am a Hartke fan....
    With that said, keep in mind... the VX series is bottom of the heap with Hartke cabs. If you have tried it with your LH1000 and like the sound, all the drivers are working and not farting out and the price is right.... then I say go for it, again, if the price is right.

tfer likes this.
  4. And I'm justifying my tube head of 65lbs? !?!?!?!?
    If it sounds good. .....

5. I know it isn't a Hydrive but I didn't know it was at the bottom of the list.

I will more than likely debadge the Fender cab and keep her. It is a beast of a cab.

Told the guy to come up here, support, and sell but he wants to ensure it is a local buy.

Deezer Butler likes this.
  6. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    The Fender 810 Pro is one of the best 810 cabs I've ever played. Can't say the same for the Hartke VX810.

7. Again, try it out.... who knows? You may like it. I have a few bass player friends that use VX series...
    That Fender, however is known for being a good cab as well. Let your ears judge.

8. On the top left of this link, you will see the current 4 cab series of Hartke... check out the difference between cabs.

SamsonTech

Good luck!

9. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Yesterday I just tried out a Fender Pro 810 (non-neo version) side by side with a Hartke Hydrive 810. Both were for sales for ~$500 used.
    Tested both with a Hartke LH500 head (500W RMS) with a standard Fender P-Bass, a J-Bass, and an active Ibananez 5 string in a local store.
    Tested both with the horns off.
    The Hartke was very focused and tight sounding as well as punchy in the low mids. The Fender 810 was a lot more clanky sounding (best way I can describe it) and no where near as tight, good low end tho. Then again, the Fender is ported and the Hartke is sealed.The 810 Hartke Hydrive left the store with me, loved it, and you dont really need the tweeter in it, thise hyddrive 10's have a nice top end to them. . Funny because I tried a brand new hydrive 410 a few months back and it was a little sterile sounding. I'm guessing the used 810 I tried is broke in and thus much warmer.
    I also noticed this with my 2 Hydrive 112 cans, I gem them new and after a couple dozen shows they really warmed up in the low mids...

10. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Jack Bruce used the 810VX - I often wondered about that.

upload_2016-4-15_15-24-28.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  11. I always wondered why also.... VX is the bottom shelf of Hartke cabs. But, he was Jack Bruce and that's how he got sound.... so, who am I to judge?

12. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    HAHA- I have seen Jack using the 4.5XL cabs as well. Those are pretty nice!

13. Now I'm keen to try Hartke cabs! But what I can say is this: My paired Fender Rumble 410s spank my SVT 810. Tighter, punchier and more responsive. There are surprises out there.

14. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Right, I dont doubt it. I tried the newer rumble 210 combo a while back and was surprised how good it sounded. Especially with a standard P-Bass, sweet sweet tone.. The Fender 810 Pro I tried I think was an early 2000's non neo and was slightly disappointing.

My original plan was to go with 4 of the hartke hydrive HX 112 cabs, 2 per side of the LH1000 head since I really like the sound from the 2 I have already (a little deeper in the lows) but I just happened to come across the 810 and it was cheaper that 2 new 112's. the 810 has a nice low mid punchyness to it I'm thinking it'll be a better cab for gigging and cutting thru the guitars on stage. The 2 12's will retire to the small clubs and recording...

I was just playing around with the 810 again last night in the basement running it off of a Hartke 3500 (350w RMS @ 4 ohms) and its plenty loud with just that, 1100w from the LH1000 in bridge mode is gonna be just stupid loud..