Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10's Vs. 4x10+18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noweapon, Dec 12, 2001.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Recently a bass player friend of mine had a pizzing contest over who's rig was better a reproducing fudamental tone at higher SPLs. He has this really cool Eden 4x10+18 set up with a World Tour head running bi-amped. I have the SWR Megoliath cab with a Mo'bass head running mono. I told him that I would win because There is some wierd mathmatical thing that happens when you have many drivers of the same size running in unison. Plus I'm pushing more air..I think. We are going to have a showdown next week at a local club (we know the owner) before the doors open. Now, I know there have been threads that go back and forth on driver combos, heads etc...so, without getting into to bad....I'm I going to get rocked or what???!!!!:confused: The test is going to be who can produce a low F# the loudest at 20ft away with the same bass. is this a good test??

www.eocmusic.com

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Might have your work cut out for you regarding that 18.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    A Megoliath is great, but 2 Eden 410XLTs or 1 Eden 810XLT, if transportation is not taken into account, would be a bit more whoop ass.

The 18" will win the fight that far away, I believe. Sure the 10s produce low great, but they can't compete with a 18" at that distance.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You're toast, bro.

5. This really depends. The 18 will almost definately reproduce more of the fundamental frequency, but the 810 could conceiveably sound louder when you take harmonic content into account. At 20 feet, I'd put my money on the 18:D.

6. It's going to be awfully close, IMO. You will probably need a dB meter to determine the winner. The two keywords here are F# and bi-amping.

The D410XLT are not going to factor in to a shootout at 23 Hz because they will be crossed over too high to add anything meaningful to the sound. If they cross over at 100 Hz, they will pick up the 4th and higher harmonics, but none of the fundamental or lower harmonics.

I'd bet on the 18" simply because it won't wimp out quite as fast as the 10s will at that low frequency. Note that both cabs will be operating severely below their design (tuned) freuquencies. It will be interesting to see if either creases a cone and destroys their cab.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    hah, reminds of me of a demolition derby, watching all the cars go to the max, before they blow up and stuff.

8. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    uh oh....

I may be in trouble. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. BTW the test bass is his Warwick JazzMann 5. We cant use any effects except for EQ's. We have a db level meter. I hope I don't get crushed. I've been laying on a bit thick and there is a slight side bet involved. Oh well....we will see! I have faith! I'll post the results soon!

9. Will the bet cover the trashed drivers?

10. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it!

my money is on the 18, sorry brah

video tape it and post the vid if the cones come flyin out the front of your cabs :)

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    At 23 Hz., a basic sound level meter (SLM) might not tell you what you want to know - especially if you are using A-weighting, which rolls off the lows quite a bit (e.g., -44.7 dB at 25 Hz.).

You have to set up the rigs in exactly the same spot in the room - and the same respectively with the "judges" and/or SLM. Using one's ears might give all kinds of false ideas, too, at that barely-discernible pitch. People will probably hear more (a) harmonics and (b) junk around the room rattling in response to the fundamental.

I tend to agree with the others - 18" drivers usually win over smaller ones when the desire is for both low and loud.

- Mike

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have had similar pissing contests with my rig, I have a double stack of 410's & 18's. At audience distance, you dont stand a chance.

Mike

13. So many folks comment about the wave fronts not developing for 30 feet. I sure would like to find something published that explains it. I have a feeling it is tied directly to the wave length, but what it is escapes me...