Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10's Vs. 4x10+18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noweapon, Dec 12, 2001.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Recently a bass player friend of mine had a pizzing contest over who's rig was better a reproducing fudamental tone at higher SPLs. He has this really cool Eden 4x10+18 set up with a World Tour head running bi-amped. I have the SWR Megoliath cab with a Mo'bass head running mono. I told him that I would win because There is some wierd mathmatical thing that happens when you have many drivers of the same size running in unison. Plus I'm pushing more air..I think. We are going to have a showdown next week at a local club (we know the owner) before the doors open. Now, I know there have been threads that go back and forth on driver combos, heads etc...so, without getting into to bad....I'm I going to get rocked or what???!!!!:confused: The test is going to be who can produce a low F# the loudest at 20ft away with the same bass. is this a good test??

www.eocmusic.com

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,
    Boy, I would love to hear that! Talk about the "Brown Note" ! Anyway, I hope you're using a justifiable bass like a Dingwall or Warrior (7 string) with a .145 or better B or F string. Personally, I don't think your rig stands a chance to produce lows in that range. I tune to A & have my hands full w/2x18 & 2x15 or 4x10! If you play in Hz that low I would check out some different gear choices. BTW, what kind of bass will you be using? Enquiring minds want to know!

Darkest regards,
    Belial

3. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Oops! Posted 2 threads!!!

...but I wanted to reply. Its a Warwick JazzMan 5.
    not sure about the strings...but either way it should be a fair fight. I'll post the results soon! BTW I love Beksinski. (the artist of your icon) You should check out Wayne Barlowe's Inferno...Very cool stuff. I'm not a dark dude...I just like thought provoking art. Syd Mead did our Album cover. You can check his stuff out at www.sydmead.com

www.eocmusic.com

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear semi-dark,
    I find it amazing some one actually knows his work. I talked to him & he is quite a dick, anyway, thanks for the link. If you tune that Warwick down that low, I hope it's set-up to give you an 11 on the Ricther scale! Oh yeah, I saw the other thread after I responded to this one already. I guess I have this whole page to myself! LOL! If you dare, check out my bands site at www.EVOKEN.com & to give a listen if you really dare, check out MP3. com- EVOKEN. Thanks!

ciao,
    Mephisto