Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christos, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Anyone that has played these how about your opinion?

1)Mesa Boogie 8x10 Classic Deep

2)Ampeg SVT-810

3)SWR Megoliath

I'm really confused I liked all three, please if anyone has ever had a problem or any praise please feel free to vent........

P.S.
    I only have about a week to decide.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Play an Eden D-810XLT. It will eliminate your confusion.

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    And also your retirement savings!;)

Thoses cabs are great. If I had the money I would pick one up. However, I'll stick to my Ampeg SVT 810. Less expensive than the other brands and yet sounds great.

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - impressive, and the price isn't that bad, at least compared to buying 2 410XLT's. The "big" thing about that cabinet is weight! 200 lbs. I'm reasonably robust for an old codger, but the thought of hauling that up (or worse - down!) a flight of stairs isn't too appealing! I think it's a cabinet for dudes having roadies in their crew!
    Mike

5. The SWR, Boogie, and Eden cabs will cost you a bunch more. The SVT-810e is what I have and it does the job. You can get it for about $800 new. Ampeg also makes the newer pr-810 pro series cab which is in the price range of the other cabs you mentioned. If you can afford to go up to $1500 for a cabinet, just find which one sounds best to you. If money is an issue, buy and SVT-810 and you'll be fine.

Brian

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd ordinarily ask you if you work out at the gym a lot, but it's really a moot point. Even if you're Arnold Schwartzeneggar, how are you going to get the danged thing to your gigs? You'll need an Excursion or Suburban to haul it, plus you'll always need someone to help you put it in and out of your transportation. Unless you're a touring pro with semi-trucks and roadies, these things are just plain impractical. Two 410s are much easier to handle, and give you equivalent or better sound.

Or were you just going to use it in the basement as your practice rig? If so, never mind.

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm not yet convinced that 2 4x10's would always be equivalent to an 8x10. I guess it's pretty design-dependent. Relative to size/weight, I figured out that I could fit an Ampeg SVT 215 (same size as the 810) into my tiny Honda wagon, with room for my basses, another 4x10, and a combo amp! Many people have forgotten just how much cargo an old-fashioned wagon can carry. So - no need to get a big SUV or van, unless you have have to carry *more* than what I just described. However, I agree with your point that big cabinets are more challenging to transport.

BTW, vans usually have much better cargo capacity than SUVs, as far as I'm concerned.
    Mike

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was going through this a while ago. Man...2 4x10s is SOOO much more practical. You ever tried to lift a Boogie 8x10? Or an Eden? Geez...the SWR and Ampeg are BABIES compared to the first two. I say two 4x10s.

As far as sound, well, here goes:

It seems to me the SWR is the most versatile of the bunch. I got EVERY tone i could think of out of it, and it was certainly impressive. Pretty Hi-Fi sounding though, but i digged that. It sure sounds like it would cut through like hell.

The Eden was much cleaner, more traditional sound. LOUD! And was very good for the boomy bass sound. Great cabinet! It comes in a very, VERY close 2nd i think. I dont know,its still a possibility for me, but was so expensive, ill probably go with SWR.

The Ampeg, well, i wont go into it. It was just a very bland sound to me. Im not a big fan of Ampeg.

And the Boogie, well, that was the most expensive of any of them. The 4x10 (maybe the 6x10...but im pretty sure it was the 4x10) at the local GC is $120 more than the Megoliath. YES! Its horrible. Very loud and boomy, but also very dark sounding, just like the guitar cabs. Pretty good cabinets, but not nearly worth the money.

And, of course, this is my personal experience, so youll have to check it out for yourself!