Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Anyone here use a 8x8? I am about to do another cab mutation.... I have a 1x15 that's big enough for the conversion... Probably gonna back-port it... Gonna plug it with 8 50w 8" spkrs. Each speaker is 8 ohms, gonna wire them in parallel pairs, then wire the pairs in series, then wire the quads in parallel... it should total 4 ohms. I am trying to squeeze the most I can out of a 100w head which is currently using a 4x8. Am I am insane, or is this worth a go?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The size of the speakers is not important, what is important is how they were designed and how the cabinet is designed.

If you're just going to cram some speakers into a box you happen to have, the results will most likely be pretty awful.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Maybe.... :) But, maybe not. I have made a buncha cabs ... sometime hit... sometimes miss. But can that 100w head push that many? Old time bands used lower wattage amps and more speakers, right?
  4. If the amp can handle the 4 ohms, you can hook up as many speakers as you like, 8 or 16 or 16,777,216 speakers: all the same.

You're right. Back in the old days, people used low wattage amps (there were no heavy amps then) and loads of speakers. Because the more speakers you use, the more efficient the watts are put to work, because the larger the total cone area of a cabinet, the higher its efficiency.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm all for expermentin' G/B, but I can't picture how you're gonna'
    stuff EIGHT 8" speakers onto a 1x15" baffle board?..have 2 or
    more down or top or...side firin'? :)

As far as that 100w bidness. What kinda' eights are they?
    I'm sure you know the (SWR) 8x8 uses Celestions, and the whole
    thing can handle 480wrms @ 4Ω . What sorta' amp
    is that 100 watter? If it's tube, it may work...old cliche' -
    "a 100w tube amp's like a 300w s/s" .
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It is a late 70s / early 80s tube amp.

I measured the cab, they will all fit with a couple of inches to spare. It's a 15" PA cab and it is a bit big for a 15. Thank goodness for wheels.

The eights are some generic auto woofers I have. They are rated to go from 50hz up to 15khz. By themselves I am sure they would choke on a low B... But as a group... I wonder.

It seems that 4x10 will often out-perform a 1x15 or 1x18. (at least that's what I keep hearing) So, do speakers if rated as a group, perform better?
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I couldn't tell ya' G/B. That Henry the 8x8 is rated
    down to low-B land. I'm sure someone here has the answer.

What I wanna' know is, why you shamin' for havin' a tube amp?!? ;)
    Hold yar he'd up HIGH, son! :D .
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Ah, I guess I whispered that so quietly I neglected to type it... It's a Radio Shack amp.

*dodges the thrown fruits and veggies*

Honestly, it's workin' for me. I just like to tinker with stuff hense, 8x8 cabs and stuff. You should see my wife everytime she catches me with my jigsaw... "Oh, honey not again!!"

9. Yes, the Henry the 8x8 handles the low-B quite well. I was at my friends house messing with his 5 string and his SWR Bass 350 and Henry the 8x8, and it wasnt totally cranked, but those little 8"s were shaking the house, and holding up! I was quite surprised that they could handle the B, but they did quite well.. and oh the PUNCH!
  10. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Don't feel Bad,at rehearsals I use an old "Heathkit" tube amp.
  11. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I got a used Ampeg B248 combo a month ago,and as the name implies,it's a B2 head in a cab containing 4 8" drivers and a small tweeter. I really like it,especially when I take the casters off so the cab can couple with the floor,it rumbles big time. One thing though, you might be disappointed with the drivers you've got if they weren't specifically designed for bass because the low notes "ask" the voice coil to travel farther and they may complain loudly.Good luck.
  12. Virtual.ray is right. Dont do it! You will be dissapointed. Auto speakers, or hifi speakers, are designed for highly compressed CD signals that require very little cone excursion. As soon as you run your 100watts of B string into those suckers, they're gonna cry foul! Musical instrument speakers, and particularly 8"s for bass, have a huge excursion, which is why the diameter does'nt matter.
  13. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    hey gb,
    is c.c. playing too damn loud again?

sorry, nothing really constructive to offer here.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Uber, not at all. :)

I am just having a bit of fun. It would be cool to have a 8x8 cab... wouldn't CC get pissed when he sees it?

Not to mention, if I wire it differently, or use different ohmage speakers... I could make it into a 8 ohm cab.

Then, I can add it as an extension speaker to my cyclops too. Muhahaha.

Actually, if I can pull this off I am very curious to check out the difference between big speakers and smalls with my own ears.... so I can hear that "response time" thing peoples are telling me about in their 10s vs 15/18s discussions.
  15. Actually it's the other way round. hifi speaker have large excursions and PA speakers have a small "travel". But because of the large excursion capability, the efficiency drops dramatically and that's why you don't want to use hifi or car woofers. And because of the fact that PA woofers are 10 times more stirdy and can take a beeting or two. HIFIs will just be ripped apart, if not burned. And diameter does matter, by the way.

Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!! Sorry I'm buggin' again. Been doing so a lot lately. Don't take it personal.
  16. joris, please don't feel that you're being a nuisance or anything. your posts are really educational, i feel smarter just being on the same board as you!