9", 11" 13" 14" why do they not exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Why do they not build any 9", 11", 13", 14" speakers?

Cool to have a 2x11" Cab :smug:
  2. They do exist, (Focal I believe), but they're rare because 8/10/12/15 have become the "standard" sizes. Like bed sheets, other sizes do exist, but king, queen, etc. has just become the most common.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My understanding is that the sizes you listed above do not exist is because of how sound wave frequencies are produced. When reproducing a sound wave at a certain frequency, a speaker the size of the wavelegnth would be ideal, but unfortunately the size would be much too large. But the interesting thing is that when you reduce speaker size, 1/2 the size will produce the frequency better than 3/4, and 1/4 better than 1/3 etc. Now I'm probabally wrong, but I think the common sizes have been choosen to reproduce the most common frequencies the best.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You should actually be asking: why are speakers measured by their mounting centers and not by the size of the driver cone?

The sizes you mentioned are closer to the actual driver size than 10, 12, or 15 inches is. :eyebrow:
  5. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Probably because the sound of an 11 inch speaker wouldn't be so different from 10's or 12's. A 10 and a 12 sound distinictively different, but an 11 might be too close to both to have an advantage.
  6. Well, for EM antenna theory you'd be close, the ideal size for that is somewhere around 0.5*wavelength in order to get the maximum power transfer. It is a little less than 0.5, but this is also for a dipole antenna. I can't see there being any applicability of this to loudspeaker design. As far as a loudspeaker goes, I'm sure that it would be significantly different since the speaker is producing longitudinal compression waves. Regardless, a 10" driver by this reasoning would correspond to somewhere around 650Hz, and I'm not sure what the importance of that number is... and I would find it peculiar that the numbers work out such that we have 10", 12", 15" etc (even given that these aren't the actual driver size but rather the housing size). I'm sure someone who does more loudspeaker design would know this. I'm sure more of it comes down to the resonant frequency of the driver, which would go down with increasing size.
  7. I'm going to guess that there is no good reason for not having 11" speakers, just that the standards have been set.

BTW I've seen 7" speakers in home audio.........HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
  8. well, what i wonder is why speaker sizes didn't go like 6", 8", 10", 12" and 14".......it makes so much sense.....yet it's so odd cuz i love the sound of a good 15".......
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Morel MW-224 and MW-220 are 9".

The TAD TL-1102H and TL-1102 are 11", as are the Eton 11-581 and Eton 11-580. TAD also made a bunch of 16's.

The Audax PR330M0 is 13", and the JL Audio 13W6v2-D4 and 13W7-D1.5 are both 13.5".

JBL once made 14's, namely the LE14's.

Fane make a 24" but not to be outdone, the Fostex FW800N is a svelt 31.5".
  10. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Umm... Please send me the 31.5".
  11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Probably the speaker manufacturers are perfectly happy building speakers to standard, nominal sizes, and engineers and draftpersons are equally content to deal with known dimensions in calculating loads and laying out cabs. It's hard to see how a cabinet would have a tremendous advantage if it were loaded with 16" speakers rather than 15", and the expense would undoubtedly be much greater.

Look at it this way: Why don't spark plugs come in 13.5mm size?

Answer: the whole point of spark plugs is that they are easily interchangeable. It shouldn't be brain surgery to change the plugs in your car's engine. There would be no improvement in performance, cost, or availability (probably the opposite for the latter 2 aspects) by designing an engine with odd sized plugs. And what would you do if you broke one out in rural Arizona?

Would YOU pay a premium price for 16" speakers? If they were marketed like Monster cables, maybe you would. (That's a joke.)
  12. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    hmm... 11" might be a nice compromise for those of us who like the qualities of both 10s and 12s.
  13. Pioneer sold a 16" home speaker for a few years, as well.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I sure would like to trade in my SWR 8x10 cab for an 8x11 cab.
  15. I have some 6" x 9" speakers in my car.. I wonder what a 10" x 15" bass cab would sound like...
  16. me too! me too!!!

in fact, i want a 2x31.5 cabinet.
  17. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    JL Audio makes a 13.5" subwoofer for car stereos...
  18. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  19. Yeah, but they run it at 3ohms, and thats just silly.
  20. i retract my previous statement