9/11 anniversary - feelings?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rockandroller, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Sept 11th, (tommorrow) I will be flying from Moscow to FRANKFURT, and then on to Vancouver.

Is it conceivable that ANYBODY of Arabic descent is going to get onto an airplane tommorrow without first undergoing a body cavity search? Of course, you dont necessarily have to be of 'Arabic descent' to be be a radical psychotic mass-murder with delusions of heavenly rewards. (Although, apparently it helps...)

I'm gonna be just a little bit ALERT when I get on that Frankfurt plane with a lot of 'German' passengers, and (sad to have to say this), i will be in "kill-the-******-with-my bare-hands" mode for the whole trip, in preparation for dealing with anybody onboard who might happen to belong to one of those (now notorious) german-based terrorist cells.

Compare that to my attitude exactly one year ago today, when I was sitting in the bleachers in Yankee Stadium and my biggest concern was whether or not the game was gonna be rained out... (it eventually was)

EDIT(JT): please totally mask vulgarity, as per the usage agreement. thank you.
  2. my feeling is that it's about time to take down the fences and gates and start trusting the people who live here again. i've had enough of the oppressive feel of things.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A year after 9/11, I think an airline passenger who is obviously of Arabic ethnicity has to be twice as "clean" as people of other origins, (at least in the US...I don't know about Germany and Canada).

Now, if an obviously Arabic passenger has poorly dyed blonde hair and other badly executed attempts to hide their ethnicity, I'd be watching that person like a hawk and would stay ready to pounce on them if I saw any suspicious moves by them.

I would hope that after 9/11 of last year, using the airlines for terrorism is just too obvious to use any longer.....ESPECIALLY on the 9/11 date!!! I would think that card has been played too often in the past to let it remain as a viable terrorism strategy, at least for now. I'd probably be more concerned if I was going by cruise ship - although - the Moscow-Frankfurt leg of the flight is a big question in my mind. I just don't know how seriously it is taken in Europe right now. Europe seems to have coexisted with the threat longer than the USA.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's unfortunate that things have had to come to this. If only we could all just get along, without any of this posturing, sanctioning, needless violence and other stupid crap, think about how great a place the world would be.

IMHO the only thing that can bring humanity together now would be an alien invasion.
  5. let us not go quietly into the night...
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    i dont fly regularly, i live in uk and i'm not a muslim, an afghan or an arab... but...

i think there's probably not an immediate danger of another attack on 09/11.
    I read/heard on the news that these particular profiles of terrorists dont generally go for anniversaries. Which sounds believable to me.. the US have stepped up air defence and these terrorists arent concerned with the irony or glory of an attack on the anniversary, they just want to kill people. So an attack on 09/11/02 would not be practical for their purposes. That said..?

My concerns are more focussed on what's happening right now with Iraq.

Hmm. May I suggest you calm down before you fly? YOU might end up getting the full cavity search! :D

Bringidon!!! Vulcans are first, so we should be OK:)
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Depends on which movie we're in. :D
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    star trek first contact all the way!
  9. its ALWAYS been obvious, thats exactly why it worked so well the last time! I dont see how anything has really changed - luggage screening is still cursory, as are pretty much all the other 'security' precautions...

For me, Sept 11th was a WAKE UP CALL - but i'm not at all pleased that so many dont take this problem seriously. I like what Bush said back then - (to paraphrase) "You are either with us, or against us" - but unfortunately, there hasnt been very much visible follow-through on that sentiment.

I think the "civilized" world needs to seriously re-align some of their priorities, and actually mobilize a SERIOUS expenditure of resources and energy towards eliminating the proliferation of terrorists and the "throwback" societies that nurture them.

I am never pro-violence, but I feel that something VERY SERIOUS and MEANINGFUL has be be done on a global scale.

Maybe I am being hopelessly idealistic, but wasnt the whole aim of the United Nations supposed to be to define a global standard of what passes for human civilization? If thats the case, then i think there has been a serious lack of Quality Control over there...
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The change that is most apparent to me, rockandroller, is not in the system but in the people who travel. I don't think any airline hijacking will work, at least for now, because no one senses a potential for a peaceful resolution. Hijacking is now equated with certain death. As a result, airline hijackers can no longer assume the mere threat of violence will empower them to take over a jet. The new passenger mentality is that they have nothing to lose.

That would be a wonderful change. In just the last century, the USA initially sat on the sidelines, thinking it was impervious to the craziness of WWI. With the exception of the better minds in England, Europe deluded themselves into thinking that Hitler's aggression had limits.

At least Tony Blair and G. Bush see the same scenario developing in Iraq again. I guess the rest of Europe is just repeating old behaviors --- they've deluded themselves into seeing a possibility for coexistence with fanatics again. :rolleyes:
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hasn't that always been the case from mainland european countries, though?
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as for thoughts on the "9/11 anniversary", i'm about ready for all the lame tear-jerking stories to end. perhaps i'm not patriotic or politically correct enough, but i don't think that how the father of one of the victims of the tower crash feels is front page news. i'm very sympathic to his loss and outraged at the deed, but please. does the news media have to play to emotional responses _every_ chance they get? what's the purpose? i don't appreciate feeble attempst at the manipulation of my feelings, so i guess i'll stop reading the news until the 12th. :rolleyes:
  13. I don't feel any different, I still know I need to get a job so I can go to london and I need to get good grades in college or else my insurance will go up. I have too much to do to be worried about things that can't be helped or undone.
  14. I have to echo the thoughts of a woman who was on WNYC talk radio today. She basically said she wishes that the media would stop showing the footage of the planes hitting the WTC towers every chance they get because all it does is make her think of her husband who's no longer here. I didn't loose anyone close to me that day, but, I have a good imagination.

I mean really, is anyone ever going to forget those scenes? :(

Mike J.
  15. theres a WNYC??

my AM presets were always all tuned to WABC (770)...

( of course, that was back when they had the Yankees AND the Devils broadcasts)
  16. Yup, 820 AM and 93.9 FM VERY good talk radio, and different subjects every day. Check it out.

Mike J.
  17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    GO USA!! USA #1!! NEVER FORGET!!!!
  18. My wife has dark skin. I am going to watch her VERY carefully tomorrow. If she starts dying her hair or looking around shiftily, I'll make her sleep on the couch.

Thank God I'm not a continental European. But some of them are pretty swarthy, too....

Can't trust 'em. You know what they're like, those people.
  19. *Sigh*

When Bush attacks and dragges God-knows-who with him will they be any better than Hitler? War of aggression is a crime. Think about it, you'll have a war criminal for president.

As for Europe not jumping on the chance to attack Iraq, we don't believe you have to step on every cockroach you see just because it's there. And what sort of a sane diplomatic leader of a major country prints out a list of the nations of "The axis of evil"?
  20. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

I feel the same way and in some aspects I don't feel the same way.

It's exactly when this happens that the terrorists realize the gap in perimeter and they capitalize on it. We can't let another damn thing as big as what happened on 9/11 happen to anyone, whether it be US or Canada or Germany or Australia or anyone. NO ONE deserves this, no matter how much anyone thinks they do. The violence must stop.