Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9.5 ILBS JAZZ - HEAVY, AVERAGE OR LIGHT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Oct 23, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've just got myself a 74 fender jazz 4 bolt with one piece maple board/neck.

It weighs 9.5 llbs whereas my 62 jazz Reissue weighs 10 llbs and my custom shoop 64 NOS weighs 9 llbs.

Is the 74 heavy, light or average weight for a 70's bass?

Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most anything Fender built in the '70s were rather heavy.

still, what could give your shoulder problems does yield an intense fundamental note that could also give you a nice kick in the pants. it wont be as resonant or dare i say "upright-ish" sounding as a lighter bass, but that brick heavy bass would prolly be awesome for that thick, tight, slammin' Marcus Miller like slap sounds.

personally for me, i dont shoulder on anything heavier that 8.5 lbs. after playing a 10 lbs. Les Paul for 2 yrs., i learned the hard way. :(

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    LIGHT!! my old mia jazz well '01 weighed.....13.5 pounds

best sounding jazz except for a 64 i played which weighed the same

steve

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would say that's about average.

To me:
    -Under 9lbs is light
    -9-10 1/2lbs is average
    -Anything over 10 1/2lbs I won't play cause it's TOOO heavy!!!!

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    moderate
    of course it all depends.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Anything b'tween 9-10.5 is ok... My fender jazz bass plus (blackbass) is 9.5 and my Warrior (bluebass) 5 is 10.5... My gigs rarely go over 4 hours these days (including breaks), and I'm average built... that one pound on the 5'er is noticable, but not a deal-breaker (for me).

7. That's pretty light for a J.

My custom J fretless weighs 14 pounds.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee Jazz weighs just shy of 11 lbs. So I would call 9.5 lbs light.

9. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Just asking, why do you guys like Fenders? The think I really dont like about them is the fact that they only have 20 fretts, and the 5 strings sound kinda funky (but in a bad, bad way)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Fender P bass and Fender Jazz bass are two classic bass designs. Nothing else sounds like a P bass. And if you want Jazz bass sound, the Fender is the best place under $1000 to get it.

So what if they only have 20 frets? Most of the money is made between the 3rd and 7th fret anyway.

If I want to wank, I pick up my fretless 5 or fretted 6.

If I want to play old school, supportive bass, my P and J do the trick very nicely.

11. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Yeah, I play lots of stuff over the 20 frett mark, I like the higher sound I get from it, I would Love a MIA Deluxe Jazz with 24 fretts, that would totally rock.

I just really like the high sound.

I have a Lakland 55-01 thats a mix of a MusicMan and a Fender jazz, it only has 22 fretts, but I LOVE the sound. Its great, very 'Jazzy'. Funny though, the bass I love is made of the two basses that I think get more Credit then they should.

But I do like some fenders.