1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

9.5 ILBS JAZZ - HEAVY, AVERAGE OR LIGHT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Oct 23, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've just got myself a 74 fender jazz 4 bolt with one piece maple board/neck.

It weighs 9.5 llbs whereas my 62 jazz Reissue weighs 10 llbs and my custom shoop 64 NOS weighs 9 llbs.

Is the 74 heavy, light or average weight for a 70's bass?

Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most anything Fender built in the '70s were rather heavy.

still, what could give your shoulder problems does yield an intense fundamental note that could also give you a nice kick in the pants. it wont be as resonant or dare i say "upright-ish" sounding as a lighter bass, but that brick heavy bass would prolly be awesome for that thick, tight, slammin' Marcus Miller like slap sounds.

personally for me, i dont shoulder on anything heavier that 8.5 lbs. after playing a 10 lbs. Les Paul for 2 yrs., i learned the hard way. :(

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    LIGHT!! my old mia jazz well '01 weighed.....13.5 pounds

best sounding jazz except for a 64 i played which weighed the same

steve

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would say that's about average.

To me:
    -Under 9lbs is light
    -9-10 1/2lbs is average
    -Anything over 10 1/2lbs I won't play cause it's TOOO heavy!!!!

5. AVERAGE!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Avg.:p

7. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    moderate
    of course it all depends.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anything b'tween 9-10.5 is ok... My fender jazz bass plus (blackbass) is 9.5 and my Warrior (bluebass) 5 is 10.5... My gigs rarely go over 4 hours these days (including breaks), and I'm average built... that one pound on the 5'er is noticable, but not a deal-breaker (for me).

9. That's pretty light for a J.

My custom J fretless weighs 14 pounds.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee Jazz weighs just shy of 11 lbs. So I would call 9.5 lbs light.

11. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Just asking, why do you guys like Fenders? The think I really dont like about them is the fact that they only have 20 fretts, and the 5 strings sound kinda funky (but in a bad, bad way)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Fender P bass and Fender Jazz bass are two classic bass designs. Nothing else sounds like a P bass. And if you want Jazz bass sound, the Fender is the best place under $1000 to get it.

So what if they only have 20 frets? Most of the money is made between the 3rd and 7th fret anyway.

If I want to wank, I pick up my fretless 5 or fretted 6.

If I want to play old school, supportive bass, my P and J do the trick very nicely.

13. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Yeah, I play lots of stuff over the 20 frett mark, I like the higher sound I get from it, I would Love a MIA Deluxe Jazz with 24 fretts, that would totally rock.

I just really like the high sound.

I have a Lakland 55-01 thats a mix of a MusicMan and a Fender jazz, it only has 22 fretts, but I LOVE the sound. Its great, very 'Jazzy'. Funny though, the bass I love is made of the two basses that I think get more Credit then they should.

But I do like some fenders.