1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

9.6v

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M0ses, Nov 1, 2010.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Is it cool if I power a 9v pedal with 9.6v? I can't find an adapter that has positive on the outside for less than some ridiculous $20, but I have one already that does 9.6v.

2. Domz

Domz

Sep 3, 2010
    New York
    sure... if you dont mind buying a new pedal

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes, it's way cool............

I've never owned a pedal with that tight of a voltage tolerance. many 9 volt devices are happy with 12 -18 volts, not all, but some even perform better.

4. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    New 9V batteries are about 9.6 volts.

A 1Spot puts out 9.5 volts.

So, yeah, it's cool.

5. :eyebrow:

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ok well that answers that question fairly conclusively.

Another one, where can you get an AC adapter with the positive on the outside for non-ridiculous markups? Adapters with positive on the inside are all over the web for $5, but nowhere can I find one that will work on a pedal for less than about $20, which I'm just not willing to pay.

7. Did you get the 9V battery snap-on/clip adapter with your power supply?

Use that.

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Cut the cord about 6 inches from either end.
    Strip the wires and reconnect them (reversed from their original position). Solder them, then heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

I've got lots of jury rigged pedals with power supplies that I salvaged from phones, old cassette players, etc.

john m

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I just measured the voltage of a brand new Duracell 9v battery. It's 9.6v.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I've got batteries, but I don't want them.

Great idea, I have done similar things myself and should have thought of this. Annoyed that I can't buy it the way I want it, though. I mean seriously. 1Spot for $19.95? I think not. Power supplies are power supplies.

11. No - that's not what I mean.

The power supplies usually have a connector/adapter that will hook up to the same end that a battery normally would.

This replaces the battery too just like going in through the jack on the side would.

I have had to use it when I ran a buddy's extra stomp and didn't have my #3 gig case with me and just used the power-to-battery-adapter to operate the stomp.

One comes in every 1-Spot power supply I think.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Not true. Power supply design is complex stuff, and power supplies meant for digital clocks are not at all similar to ones meant for audio.

Many cheap power supplies are unregulated, so they deliver varying voltage under different loads (11v if you have only one pedal, 8v with many pedals, for example), or they can be transformer-based with insufficient or non-existent filtering (hum), or they can be switch-mode supplies whose switching frequency is within the audio range so you hear annoying whining sounds, etc.

The 1 spot is not just an expensive cell phone supply. For one thing, it has huge current capability. Great for big boards. It also has protection circuitry so that if one of your pedals develops a short and it tries to pull more current than the supply can provide, the 1 spot just shuts off, which saves both the supply and the pedal from death.

You CAN find a perfectly usable supply that's dirt cheap, absolutely. But the 1 Spot really is much better than many junky supplies not designed for this application. This note is not to tell you that you need a 1-spot or similar, or that what you've got around can't work for you. But power supplies are not all created equal, and the 1-spot is pretty good IMO.

13. +1 Absolutely!

14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Yes, all power supplies are not created equal.

My salvaged ones are regulated. I've watched their output under load on a oscope and varied the input voltage with a variac. If you don't have that equipment, cut them open and look for a voltage regulator (it will be a 3 pin transitor, most likely with a number 78xx). A wall wart from a consumer audio device (old portable tape player, CD player etc) will most likely be regulated.

That being said, I've used "junk" wall warts on stomp boxex with low mA requirements with no issues.

john m