Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 inch crack on fingerboard ( Oh Lawd!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by "Ray_Flip", May 20, 2005.

1. "Ray_Flip"

"Ray_Flip"

Mar 11, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Hello .. I recently found out that my custom built 7 string
    bass has a 9 inch crack on the fingerboard ... which gives me no THUMP or ATTACK ... even with new strings . The person who built the bass is going to build me another body because it is a neckthrough bass. Any suggestions to help get that Thump back in the mean time ...

Thanks

Ray Flip

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Where exactly is the crack? If you just want a quick and dirty solution, cyanoacrylate (superglue or CA) is usually a safe bet. Just flow some into the crack, let it stand for a good 24 hours, and sand the heck out of it. If you use a good, thin CA it'll flow into all the spaces under the fingerboard and seal it up tight.

-Nate

3. Yup, Better check out real closely where that crack is - it could flow into that "space" called the trussrod channel and seal that up tight too! :D

4. "Ray_Flip"

"Ray_Flip"

Mar 11, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Thanks guys for your wisdom ... Hey Nateo, the crack starts around the 14th fret and is spreading up the neck . Where can I purchase this cyanoacrylate?

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Good call Hambone, I hadn't even thought of that. Just one more justification for wrapping the truss rod in saran wrap before installing.

Ray, before you try the CA trick you should be very certian that the crack isn't over your truss rod. In fact, for a bit of a margin of error I'd want the crack to be at least 1/4" away from the truss rod channel, since CA is designed to flow into joints.

If you still want to give 'er a go (and you're not going to blame me if something goes wrong), then check out your local hobby stores for cyanoacrylate. Up here (in Canada) I buy mine from HobbyWorld. They sell a variety types from super thin to gap filling. I'd recommend something in the middle that will flow a bit but still help to close up the gap. You may also want to do some light clamping of the FB, but that'll depend on the nature of the crack more than anything.

As a fairly devoted tinkerer and a closet perfectionist, I like to use this decision making process. If I'm likely to loose more sleep worrying about a botched repair than because of a malfunctining instrument, then it's either not worth trying or I haven't thought things through enough yet.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

-Nate

PS: I don't think anything I say can really be called "wisdom." I'll leave that to guys like Hambone and stick with the "questionable but possibly affective advice."

6. "Ray_Flip"

"Ray_Flip"

Mar 11, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Thanks again ... I'll check that out before I do anything . I'm just trying to get that thump or attack I'm missing .

lol
    Ray Flip

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Depending on what was used to glue the fingerboard down originally, it should be possible to remove the old fingerboard and glue a new one down, thereby avoiding having to build an entirely new bass.... especially if you like this particular bass.

Of course, some of the new glues are harder to take apart than hyde glue or Tightbond....

:^)~