1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

9 or more stringed bass guitar.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Badbass206, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Badbass206

Badbass206

Feb 20, 2013
    Does anyone know of a website where i can get a 9 string or preferably a higher number of strings on a bass guitar? Money isnt an option, i play a six but it isnt cutting it anymore. Also, what would the gauges and tuning be for the strings?
    :bag:

2. BrandenSteele

BrandenSteele

Nov 25, 2012
    Canada
    A 6 string is too much?! What kind of music are you playing there?

I found a 10 string bass for sale that my cousin happens to own and it's an excellent bass and gives you copious amounts of range. http://www.conklinguitars.com/custom_10_string_bass_spalted_maple_yellowheart_purpleheart.html and http://www.conklinguitars.com/custo...nge_birdseye_maple_bubinga_3d_melted_top.html

That 10 string bass is supurb and will fit your range needs quite well, just made sure you can handle the girth.

I am actually serious to here what kind of music as I love music that uses extended-range basses :bassist:

3. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    6 is cool with me....

are there any readily available 8+ single-string basses?

if wishbass still exists and that "vibe" is cool with you i'd recommend him. something like $50 per string with a base price of $300... i think adding frets is $75.. or was, the last time i spoke with him.

4. Badbass206

Badbass206

Feb 20, 2013
    i play a lot of metal, progressive rock and if you have ever heard of animals as leaders, i play a lot of solo work that is melodic, i just cant do tosin's thumping. (if you listen you will understand)

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You can find low cost 7 and 8 string Stagg and other like Antoniosai basses on Ebay for rather economical prices. There are many builders on TB such as Triad, classicbassworks, and myself that do ERB's quite regularly. I am finishing up an 8 this month, doing a 9 for a customer in Cali and a 10 for Summer NAMM, along with a 12 for next winters NAMM.

If Money is no Object, check out Jerzy Drozd, Jens Ritter, and Aquilna. All makers of incredible ERB's

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  7. rodda55

rodda55

Sep 13, 2012
    Google for 'chapman stick'. They might float your boat.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The gauges will be determined mostly by the tunings. Once you get beyond six strings, the tunings are going to be pretty much whatever you want them to be.

At that point, there aren't a whole lot of rules or conventions left anymore... :eyebrow:

MM