9 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    What is he compensating for? :D

Actually I'd take one if I ever had the money.
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I would too but I dont have the 7 grand he payed for his:) pretty pricey but well worth it if you can afford it.

He also has another 9 string with fanned fretts so the low end has a longer scale and the high end has a higher scale. it also has dual outputs so the lows get sent to one rig and the highs get sent to another rig, really unique player.
  4. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    hes a really nice guy too, i talk to him through email rather often, give's me lots of tips on my skills as well.
  5. more strings that JT???:confused:
    well, considering JT has eight hundred basses, it makes up for it.:D
  6. Lucky him. I wish I had a nine string bass... What are some good Nuclear Rabbit songs to download anyway? I've only heard Santa Claus is selling crack, which is pretty cool.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jean baudin is a great player. i have an mp3 of an old nuclear rabbit tune, disgruntled temp of the appocalypse. i listen to it often - good stuff.
  8. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    umm some good songs would be Intestinal Fortitue, my Girls got guts, The pimp the bitch and the magic beans, subliminal smurf. also check out the band Element of Surprise, he plays bass in that bad as well.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've listened to lots of Nuclear Rabbit samples; very interesting stuff. And their song titles are so similar in purposeful randomness to my old band it's creepy. I'd like to hear some EOS stuff-do they have an MP3 page?

Oh, and does anyone know who ended up with Bill Dickens' original nine-string?
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    damn... I played a Conklin Groove Tools 7 and i couldn't get my index finger to hit the B string :(.. I actually had to put my thumb to the bottom of the neck to reach it, which hurt my wrist obvioulsy

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think it's some guy in florida. don't know his name.
  12. Jean's a great player and a very cool guy. I haven't heard from him in a bit, but if anyone writes him, tell him Stew from New Orleans says 'hey' and that I'm almost finished with the song he inspired!

E:OS is *very* different from Nuclear Rabbit in their approach to the songs. still musically intense, but it's got more mainstream appeal. the eclecticism's sort of focused into the nu-metal genre. "Flick the Switch" is a righteous tune!

from the yammering low end,

13. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Im gonna probably email him tonight, ill tell him that stew says whats up, yeah E:OS is more main stream but he does some really nifty riffs on both demo's but I'm so happy that the original Nuclear Rabbit is back together!!!! that means more catywompus (sp?) haha behavior music, its so spastic its great and so technical!
    anywho yeah stew ill tell him whats up, do you have his e-mail addy????
  14. hey Saetia,

I've got, like, 4 email addresses for him and I have on idea which one he's using these days! just let him know I say 'hi', thanks, and I'll get him a copy of the tune I wrote for him soon!

from the low end,

15. Thanks Dave for the pics. Those are awesome! What were your impressions of the bass?
  16. You're welcome. Impressions, eh? Hmmmm. Well here goes ... bmmmmm ... bmmm bmmm bmmm bmmmmmmmm ... bmmmbm ... boioioioioinnggggg!

The tone really doesn't come through via text very well though.

I didn't get to play it too long. Maybe a minute or two at best. It was in the parking lot of the Cadillac Ranch so it was a little noisy. Jean played a Bach invention with two-handed tapping techinique. He smoked that night! It was amazing watching him jump and move around while playing complex riffs on a 9-string monster ( not the same as the one in the pic though ).

I could see myself getting used to it easily though. After noodling around a bit I was able to do some really funky slap stuff on it fairly comfortably. Of course, the spacing was about the same as my hanewinckel 7-string. Also, I could navigate the fretboard fairly easily. It was mainly the fanned frets that took getting used to.

It felt pretty good. It was a monster though!

- Dave
  17. Thanks Dave for the review. Did you like the fanned frets? Are they something you would use given the chance?

18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd never even heard of these guys until someone here mentioned them about 6 months ago, so I went and found some of there stuff, and an hour later I was bumping it in my car. I don't write that type of music, but I can listen to it for hours. Amazing bass playing going on.
  19. What tuning do you use on that thing? It'd just confuse me, I've enough trouble with 6. Which is why I don't have one.