9 string delima

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    okay im really really wanting a a good 9 string. But the problem with them is that all i seen cost way too much from everybody else and my job will take forever to make the down payment. So my best option is contact wish.... I can get one made for about $700. My main gripe im wondering is will i be able to handle such a best of a an insturment? Since I just cant go to store and pick up a 9 string. I told them to make one with the most narrow as possible spacing while still being feasable to play. I read that the galveston 8 string bass necks were about the same size as alot of 6's. and I handle 6's pretty well and thats most i ever had and I had a 10 string stick. How big are your insturments and or your self while playing these?
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Ike. Wish. His work on 7's has been pretty scary from what I've seen. I fear what a 9 without a truss rod or a couple of them will be like in a year. My advice would be to wait. My seven fits my hand perfectly even though I don't have very small hands. The spacing on the groove tools is pretty tight though. Why not head into a 7 string groove tools in a year or so. They're going pretty cheap lately.

I just don't think wish has enough mass in his basses to make a 9 sound even 1/2 decent. Let us know what happens.
  3. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    thanks for the reply quailbone Thats what im fearing. i hear that his work has improved a whole lot recently and thats why i atleast considering him. and In that price option includes the truss rod option plus graphite and steel neck reinforcing. I plan on doing mostly tapping with this bass and wouldnt be like an every song thing. Do you know of anybody else that could make a good 9? Im no means expecting anything exotic quality nor am I wanting something top of the line like that either but something solid and dependable to learn the ropes on.
  4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I actually just played a friends wishbass for the first time today. He bought it 2 weeks ago because it was "A good deal." It's a 4 string fretted and has some of the worst fretwork I've seen in my life. My first accoustic (jay turser) had more attention to detail. I think that you would be quite disapointed with the bass for tapping purposes. Tapping on an instrument of that size requires a bass built with precision, not one with a nut that is "about 2 inches or so."

I think Wish's stuff has been improving lately because he hasn't been making a lot of fretted basses. When you don't really have to worry about scale length and calculations it makes building a bass quite a bit easier.

It sounds like what you want is a Porsche but you want Yugo to build you a demo so you can learn on it. My advice would be to stick with your current gear until you can buy the Porsche, or you could buy a Chevy. Again my groovetools has been an amazing bass but if you're hung up on a 9 string, prepare to shell out some cash or settle with subpar equipment.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No! NoNoNoNoNo! You DO NOT want a 9 string if that's all you can afford! I've heard quite a few horror stories, seen many xxx rated pictures of Wish's, do not get one.....I can't imagine having to TAP on that unstabilizedfloorplankshouldhavebeenmadefretless thing.

...Get a Conklin GT7, they can be had for well under 700 slightly used. Heck, Hollywood GC was selling a couple for 499 brand new last year! I can vouch for their quality, low action is easily attainable with their multilaminated wenge/purpleheart neck. Pretty good tone too.
  6. There are some builders out there that will build a 9 string that would be less than the more well known builders that are famous for ERB's.

Chris Stambaugh comes to mind.
  7. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    i check chris's website ands till out my range. I dont have more then a grand to spend and like i said im limited and i dont make enough with me job allow me to go to the bank and get aloan along with the other bills i got. You wouldnt no of anybody else that would make one that cheap by chance or the cheapest i could possibly get one?
  8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You could buy a good 5 string and a 4 string, string them up consecutively....

Are 9 strings really that important? I'm all for extended range and no boundaries for bass, but I don't think your obsession is healthy ;) Better to do things right rather than do it the cheap way...
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do you *need* one right now?

You will almost certainly regret getting a 9 string Wishbass. You would be much better off saving your money until you can afford a better quality one in the future and just dealing with the bass you have now. The only caveat on this is if somehow you have a killer gig lined up which you must use a nine string.

What kind of bass do you currently play? There are a lot of reasonable priced used 7 strings around, do you really need that extra 2? Have you played a nine before?
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't settle, you will kick yourself later.

I would also suggest that you get a Groove Tools and decide if all the extra range is really what you want?

Cheaper than buying a junker and finding that you dislike that particular instrument or even extended range instruments all together.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Why are you jumping to a 9?

Go for a used Conklin Groove Tools 7 string.
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as an extended range bassist exclusively for the past 11 years, i implore you to save your money and put it towards a more ahem "conventional" luthier's product. 700 bucks is enough to get a decent down payment on a custom with any of a number of good luthiers, and then get a 2nd night job for a few months to pay for the rest.

believe me, some of those endearing qualities that can just be laughed at and considered ridiculous on wish's 4 string would render a 9 a completely unplayable waste of money.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Not to mention a senseless death for a whoooole lot of trees... :eyebrow:
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Also, without a great subwoofer, the low F# will probably not give you a decent sound, and an Ampeg 4x8 probably wouldn't cut it.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That Mark is saying he'd rather go with DP than Wish is really something.
  17. I would just wait it out. I'd love to have an 8 or 9 string but it's just not financially viable for me to do so at this stage of life. Most of those basses cost as much as I make in a year. If you really *must* have one then I suggest you follow John's advice and pick up a second job.

There's a reason you don't see many 20 year olds playing custom 9 strings. Just think of awesome basses as a reward for getting older. :)
  18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    no one EVER need's to buy a Wish...
  19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well, in retrospect I'm sure I was extreme in my response and actions.. Yes, he builds a decent, usable instrument for the money. No, it wasn't on par with my Conklins but I understand now that I had no right to expect it to be.. Looking back on the threads I'm actually ashamed of how I carried on..
  20. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Definitly wait!!!!!!!!

I bought a Gt-7 and it was an eye opener, not saying that I don't like it, on the contrary: it is my main bass, but definitly won't use it in some situations, in fact, by using it everyday I'm still trying to realize if something like a 9 string would feel
    confortable for me, I would love to have one right now!! :eek: But it must be a really well planned instrument, and I still haven't found everything I need about "my type of bass" to go trough that step! Oh, and in the future search the more you can, I'm sure that if you browse some pretty known luthiers in the USA you'll find interesting options other than those cosmic 4000$ + prices. so starting saving some more! :bassist: