9-String fretless on e-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Dec 31, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Looks bulky, even for a 9 string bass! :meh:
  2. +1.

I would like my Conklin 8 to be slightly smaller, and that one is just WAY more huge.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What is up with one of the pickups hanging way out into the body of the bass?
  4. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    That doesn't look very comfortable to play. Nor does it look like it is very sturdy. I'd avoid that 'monster bass' like the plague. Mu wrist hurt just looking at it. And I'm going to get a 9. B Easy

5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What's the deal with the purpleheart stringer in the neck? There seems to be a few miscalculations on this bass.

I'm surprised no one said anything about the string windings. :p

I wonder how much it's gonna sell for...
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've seen their stuff on Ebay before; kinda from the Wish School of Bass. Seeing as I like Wishy's, I should check one out, they're usually pretty cheap. That looks a bit much for me, though.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ugh. looks like the body was finished with a butter knife.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I'm less concerned about the butterknife body than I am about the lack of a truss rod on a NINE string bass. Eep.
  10. that neck looks really thick. I mean REALLY REALLY THICK. :meh:
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here.
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    That neck is almost literally a 2x4.
  13. Read the details- the thick neck & non-radiused fingerboard (huh?) are selling points (I think).
  14. Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Aside from the fact that it looks too thick and heavy in the neck, the idea of no truss rod is scary... I mean even my 6-string Washburn has dual rods. The forces on a 9-string neck are even more severe..... I'll pass thank you...
  15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'll hold all of my true "feelings" about this bass go unsaid in the intrests of not turning this thread into a typical "Wishbass" type thread and simply ask you all to enlarge the picture of the headstock and look at what happens to the lowest string just after the nut. Like the bass or it's style or not, I don't think you will be able to tune that string very well and will likely damge the nut in rather short order...

On the plus side, design wise, just like the previously discusse Dark Horse basses this one has their exclusive "No Heel" neck. Of course you can't have a heel when the neck is just as thick as the body, but my feelings are starting to show...

16. What concerns me is the lack of measurement during construction. Just look at the difference in the amount of fretboard visible on the high strings as compared with the low strings.

By the way how is this beast strung, what is the string to string measurment etc.

Matthew :meh:
  17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Looks like it depends on which strings you're asking about.
  18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That thing is a ****ing monster.
  19. Well, I'll admit, I'm not one for ERBs but if I was ever going to consider buying an extended range bass that would not be the one I would buy. Scratch one from the list.