Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 String - Range Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey

Could someone help me out - does a nine string have a bigger range than a guitar? Is the top F a semitone higher than the high E on a guitar?

2. well, I don't know that the range is higher than a guitar, but the top string on a 9 is usually a Bb unless I'm very mistaken.

there's a frequency table on Grant Green's site if you want to get into the specifics:

http://www.contrabass.com

from the lows,

Stew

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hi Stew

sorry for the confusion. I did mean top F, my mistake. I'm just clarifying a discussion I had with a friend. Does a nine string bass go higher than a guitar can reach? (if strung in regular fashion)

Hope this makes sense!

4. well, I don't know that the high end of 9 is pitched higher than a guitar's upper range.

the high string on my 8, an F, is a .022 which puts the high Bb on a 9 between .014-.017.

as to actual note frequencies, you will have to check the chart from my earlier post of contact one of our resident 9 slingers, like Greg Campbell or Garry Goodman.

sorry I couldn't be more help... :(

from the lows,

Stew

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A 9 string bass has far more range than a guitar, but if it gets higher... let's work this out.

24 fret guitar gets up to high E. A 24 fret 7 string (or 8, like Stew's) gets to the F below the highest E on a guitar (7 string bass highest note is the 13th fret on a guitar's high E). A Bb on a 9 string (played at the 24th fret) would get to the Bb below the highest E on a guitar (18th fret on a guitar's high E).

So, no a 24 fret 9 string bass doesn't get higher than a 24 fret guitar. But a 36 fret 7 or 8 string (see JT's 8s) gets to the F above a guitar's highest E.

Hope that made sense. :)

6. thanks, Eric. I think I fried the logic circuit anticipating the gig with Trip tonight!

:eek: :cool:

from the illogical lows,

Stew

7. Wow, great info Eric! Very well presented. :cool:

-Bernie

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The high string side of the 9 string Benavente is a 10 if that helps. 165 on the low and 10 on the high.

9. May I ask what strings you have on the 9, Brian?

-Bernie

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    SIT

The guys at SIT are awesome to work with!! I can't say enough good things about them......

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    you mean this monster!?

[​IMG]

12. That's great to hear, Brian. I'm ordering some from Bill soon for the GT-7. I'm anxious to try them out now!

-Bernie

13. I'm going to be retuning my 9-string to B E A D G C F Bb Eb. My high string will be a half-step below a guitar's high E so if the guitar has a 24-fret neck like mine does, the guitar will have one note higher than I do.

- Dave

14. Dave,

What gauge string will you be using for the Eb?

-Bernie

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Some more info:

On a 34"-scale bass, the 5th fret is at about 25.5" from the bridge. This is where the nut on a guitar would be.

So, if you think about tuning a bass string up to Eb, it's like tuning a guitar string of the same gauge up to Ab. But even harder, as there's more string to stretch. Then, to get the same high range as the guitar, the bass has to have 5 more frets (eg 29).

I use a high G on my guitars. .009 on electric, .011 on acoustic. It's pretty tight. The equivalent at a bass scale is D - the typical high string on a Chapman Stick (standard gauge .008). An Eb is possible, E or F maybe but I'd be pretty paranoid that it would break any second. :)

As far as the width of the range, that's easy. A 6-string bass has one more semitone of range than a 6-string guitar (w/ same # of frets). So a 9-string tuned straight 4ths would have 16 more (5+5+5+1) than a guitar.

16. I'm going to try an .007 which I got from Jean and if that's too thin, I may try a .009. I'm going to ask the Warrior guys what they would recomend and might just send it back to them to change the tuning since the nut will probably have to be redone.

- Dave

17. Sounds great, Dave!

Speaking of Jean, I'm looking forward to checking out your pics from the last show. The pics are always great.

Also, is your custom Hanewinckel in production?

-Bernie

18. Thanks. Did you see the few I posted at:
    http://www.unpronounceable.com/images/midgetupyourass/ ?

I posed that link to ERB. It will be a while before I do anything with the rest though. I'm way behind and have dozens of other shows to go through too.

I haven't decided on what I want yet as far as the Hanewinckel goes. Plus, I want to design the body and everything to my specs and I really need to come up with a mock up or prototype so I can get the positioning of the neck and everything right. I'm not sure whether I want a 7, 8, or 9 yet.

- Dave

19. Yeah, I sure did Dave. Thanks for posting them at the ERB.

I'm sure whatever you decide for the Hanewinckel will be a beauty! Can't wait to hear about it.

-Bernie

20. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for the help in clarifying that, guys. I'm receiving a Conklin GT 7 soon, mostly based on peoples reviews here, and I was just curious whether or not this would allow me to sack my guitarist! ;)

Thanks again

Mike