Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9-string Warrior ... soon to be mine ( with pics )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Sep 18, 2003.

1. A short while back, I met Jean Baudin, the 9-string bassist from Nuclear Rabbit and Element of Surprise at a show. We got together shortly thereafter to try out each others instruments and I fell in love with his Warrior 9-string. He told me he might consider selling it to help finance a new custom Conklin. I just checked it out again last night and decided that I wanted it. I still have to come up with the $$$ which I'm hoping to do soon.

It's a little thrashed and part of the headstock was broken off at some point but it's still a pretty good deal. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I like it enough, I'm going to have Pete Hanewinckel build me a 9-string. The neck on the Warrior is unbelievablely thin. I like it a lot. I'm not sure I like it better than the thickness on my Hanewinckels though. We'll see.

- Dave

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Dave. Long time no see.

Yowza, that thing looks scary. I'd like to check it out sometime

(Your old SWR Triad says hi. It's living in L.A. now witing for me to go down there).

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats insane. ive only played up to a 7 string, and it was a challenge to get to the low B! how much does it weigh, about 20 pounds?:bassist:

4. stop it, i am having the worst case of gas. this is my last year of school(12 grade), and iam saving all my lunch money so i can buy a conklin gt 7 string. when i was in 10th grade i did the same thing for the frist two months so i could get my warwick.

and parents think there kids cant save.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

YEAH, BABY!!!!!!!!!

That makes me horny!!!

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    2 questions.....

1. Does this mean surfs up?

2. When you were playing it were low flying planes circling you?

Seriously though that thing replenishes my faith in the saying "big is beautiful". :D

7. how is it tuned?

8. Congrats! How's that baby tuned? F# to Bb?

9. With the tuning pegs on the headstock ( not pictured ).

:D

seriously though, it's F# B E A D G C F Bb

- Dave

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ba-Dum BOP!!!!

:D :D

11. Sorry for my poor english! :p

12. that thing is HUGE!:eek:

13. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Why don't you just get a harp? I can't imagine why anyone would need a 9 string bass...

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh LETS GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

[​IMG]

: Begins to sharpen knives :

Don't even start, Sparky...

:spit:

15. :D :p

That's awesome Dave! After you played Jeans' bass I was wondering if you were gonna go that route. Very nice bass you're getting there. Can't wait to get mine started. The neck laminates on that Warrior look beautiful. Well, that neck as a whole just looks divine.

A Hanewinckel 9 should be sweet as well.

16. When was the last time you saw a harpist with groupies?

There are lots of reasons. To compensate for having a small penis is the most popular. Followed closely by making up for lack of playing ability. Then there's low self-esteem. Don't forget the impress-the-peers factor. Maybe they really want to be a guitarist. Plus, you never know when you're going to have to play for a herd of elephants ( get some use of the low F# ). There's lazyness ... with a 9-string, you can stay in one position and have the range of a 4-string bass.

Me? I don't need one. I want one. What in life does any of us really *need* anyway?

:D

- Dave

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And I'm sure you could make some use of it with some of your bach transcriptions and arrangements.

The string spacing on that 9-string looks abnormally large, must be pretty interesting to play.

19. I made him an offer the day I went to his house the first time. He wasn't sure he wanted to sell it at the time though.

That night at the Nuclear Rabbit show when I tried his Conklin 9'er, I didn't really get much of a chance to evaluate it in the context of "do I want to play a 9-string". When I played the Warrior at his place, I really dug it. They're very similar to Hanewinckels in many respects.

- Dave

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    RIOT!!!

This is my new signature!! Thanks Dave!!