Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Jul 13, 2004.

1. how much do conkiln 9 strings go for. i dont think their website said it, unless i didn't notice in which case sorry for this post. I know mark beem posts say he spent like 2500 on a conklin 7 so i'm guessing 9 string are outragously expensive. thank to anyone that posts

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think they start at about $32-3500 for a bare bones package.

3. The list price for a Conklin Custom 9 is $4600. That's without an active preamp, or a figured top. Of course, the options add up quickly.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, whatever somebody needs to get the music in their head out into the open!:cool:

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i dont understand these 6 and over string basses. theyre so weird to me.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ^^7 comes after 6, 8 comes after 7, 9 comes after 8. I know it's hard learning to count, but you'll get it eventually.

:0

/end_amazing_joke

7. Jazzin'

i dont mean that

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    he means he doesn't see the reason for more than 6 strings on a bass. i GUESS there is a reason for 9's, but 7 isn't that much. there isn't a reason for 11's though, when i went to NAMM, the guy demo'ing it couldn't do more than like randomly tap.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I understand what he meant.

10. Jazzin'

can someone explain to my the reason for a bass with that many strings?

11. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    To be able to play notes soooo low you can blow womens clothes off :D

But in actuality, its so you have an easier time to play octaves(less hand motion), and so you get a larger selection of notes from your instrument. I'm really not sure if that's how uber-extended range bassists look at it, but that''s the way I see it.

12. Jazzin'

does anyone know the names of all the strings?
    ex: 5 string would have BEADG
    what would 9 strings have?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why don't you do a search? it's easy. all of your questions have been answered already, a long time ago. there's volumes of discussion on "why so many strings" here, for the past 4 years these threads have come up often. give it a shot, it's easy. :hyper:

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love all those uber-stringed basses. I'd love to have one to dink around on but unfortunately it's not something I can really afford at the moment! (Translated: the wife would kill me. ;))

15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I hear that man. Except my mom would kill me. And then my dad. And then my dog, just to be safe. So I'll have to be content with my six banger for a while.

16. To a few posts above, take alook at JTs post! Conklin man, I'd be in debt the rest of my life :Kidding: I'd love one! Good luck, whats with the whole deal about them being worth like 36,000 but the person buys it for like 10,000. Any opinions?
    Thanks
    Troy

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

Go to our featured interview, open FBB page, find pricings, check non-doubled 8 string list price, look like this----> :eek:

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Outrageously expensive?????

$2500 is a great price for this bass. I paid over three grand for it used myself.. New, a puppy like this is gonna cost you around 6,000+ bones!!!!

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Because it's fun to see people confused.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what are you talking about?