9 volt / 18 volt active bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    excuse my ignorance but does having 2 x 9 volt batteries in a bass simply mean one battery per pickup ?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No, it could mean a few things... it could be 18v to a preamp, it could be a +9, -9 circuit, could be 18v to active pickups, could be 9v to a preamp and 9 v to pickups.
  3. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

Or it could be one spare...which I think is a good idea.
  4. it could also mean (if wired in paralell) it could mean twice bat life.
  5. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    18 V Electronics means that the preamp's circuit is powered by 18V. 2 x 9V wired in series. This gives you better headroom (dynamic range). I had a Spector with 9V which I upgraded to 18V because of the distortion that was present when the tone controls were set high and the bass was plucked hard. The output would distort clip i.e. run out of headroom. With the 18V system, problem solved.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Some 9V circuits even work with 18V.
    Daredevils can hook up another battery in series.

Two batteries are always a sign for a 18V circuit. Nobody would put in a spare battery, since they go dead over time, so by the time you'd need it, it might be dead.
    Most circuits have such a low power consumption that they last almost as long as they do if you keep it on the shelf.
  7. Actually my bass has a spot for a spare battery. It is inside the magnetic battery compartment and isn't wired into the circuit.

Edit: the battery doesn't go dead before the battery in the circuit either. My batteries usually die within 6 months and the batteries shelf life is usually in years.