9-volt batteries for my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B_assman, Jul 30, 2004.

1. B_assman

Jul 26, 2004
    Hello. this is b_assman.
    Few days ago i posted a thread concerning my new fender elite precision bass. Well, i just found out something i shoulve asked then.

The back of my bass has a slot where u can put in a 9-volt battery. I opened it up and checked, and mine actually doesnt hav any batteries in there but the bass works fine. But out of curiousity im planning on purchasing a battery and inserting it.

Can anybody who knows of this tell me how a 9-volt battery can affect the sound of my bass?

Thank you.
  2. Evidently this bass has an active/passive option and you're just going passive now... Otherwise why would they have installed a battery compartment...

I just use a good alkaline battery from Walmart. (Some people will argue over the merits of one brand versus another soundwise but IMHO that's bogus. All 9V alkaline batteries put out darn near the same voltage when new.) Alkalines give a pretty good life, just unplug your bass when you aren't playing.

So with a battery, you gain the advantages of an active preamp onboard. If the battery dies, you can run passive. The best of both worlds IMHO.
  3. Or, if this is a used bass...perhaps a previous owner removed the preamp and rendered the battery compartment useless.....