Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 volt battery life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, May 26, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I just had a pretty good scare. My bass wasnt working at all. I took out the old battery and put in a newer one. This didnt fix the problem, so I took the input jack off and check out the guts to make sure everything was soldered together. All appeared fine. I take another battery. One that I only bought a few days ago for something else and put it in and now she works just fine.

This leads me to my question. The 1st batter I tried was still in the package, just been sitting around (in the freezer for 3-4 months). I didnt think it would be dead if not used.

Anyone have a rough idea of what the shelf life of these are? It was an engergizer.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    don't they have experation dates on them?

bobby

3. Most batteries actually have an expiration date now. I have a package of 9v energizers and it says "use by 2007". If you only had the battery for 3-4 months, it should have been fine.

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i say you try and sue energizer for false advertizing

bobby

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Please say you are joking. :rolleyes:

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes i was joking...sorry....i forgot the ":rolleyes: "

bobby

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes...a very vital addition 'round these parts. ;)

8. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    the problem might be with the battery connection itself.

the round clips that attach to the 9-volt can be loose enough so sometimes you don't have a good connection even when it looks ok.

i had this problem with my Ibanez BTB. i ended up duck taping the batteries to the mount...

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

This could be the key. Batteries don't work (or at least they're not supposed to) if frozen. If you keep your batteries in the freezer then you should allow them to reach room temp before using. BTW, if these are alkaline batteries we're talking about then storing them in the freezer offers very little if any benefit for retaining the battery's charge. You're just as well keeping them in any old dry place as long as it's not hot.

brad cook

10. I throw out any battery if it's been hanging around a year or more. I also scotch tape a small strip of paper around the battery when I replace it, so I know exactly when I changed it last.

Genius, I know. :)

Mike

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    that is a good idea, im gonna start doing that myself.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Presumably that's paper with the date on... or is this a level of genius beyond that I can comprehend? :D

Wulf

13. Sometimes I put the date on it, sometimes I put a POMEGRANITE as well! :D

Yes, I did mess up by not saying I put the date on the paper. Sorry. :(

But, I am still the fairest in the land. :p

Mike :D

14. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    excuse me...don't talk to me like a newbie..;)

::tom green voice on::

god i make one little mistake and you guys never stop rubbing it in!

::tom green voice off::

bobby