Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 volt or 18 volt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Other than more overhead (I guess) :confused:

are there any more serious reasons to by a 18 volt vs 9 volt??? I was told that with a 18 volt, you can run direct into the house system/board and get a good output, does this mean you will no longer need a preamp, ??? I guess I am just trying to figure out if that should be a major consideration when buying a bass in the future????

replies from people with and without experience with the two would be helpful:bassist:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Any bass can go direct to a house mixing desk. That's what a DI does. The desk has it's own pre-amp on each channel.

Going direct to a power amp is another matter. Mathematically it doesn't pan out. With a 9v battery most basses put out (from memory) 0.2 volts on average. So with 18v, the bass would put out 0.4 volts. My understanding is that you need at least 1 volt of output before you can go straight into a poweramp without a preamp.

But hey, I could be wrong.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I prefer a passive bass to either 9v or 18v. Petebass is correct that any bass can go through a DI into the house board. My passive Fender Jazz V sounds awesome direct.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I upgraded my 9v to 18v...and then did the same with my second bass...I'll likely never play a 9v system again if it's modifiable (is that even a word?)

Great tone...killer transients...better head room...nuff said!