1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

9 volt or 18 volt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Other than more overhead (I guess) :confused:

are there any more serious reasons to by a 18 volt vs 9 volt??? I was told that with a 18 volt, you can run direct into the house system/board and get a good output, does this mean you will no longer need a preamp, ??? I guess I am just trying to figure out if that should be a major consideration when buying a bass in the future????

replies from people with and without experience with the two would be helpful:bassist:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Any bass can go direct to a house mixing desk. That's what a DI does. The desk has it's own pre-amp on each channel.

Going direct to a power amp is another matter. Mathematically it doesn't pan out. With a 9v battery most basses put out (from memory) 0.2 volts on average. So with 18v, the bass would put out 0.4 volts. My understanding is that you need at least 1 volt of output before you can go straight into a poweramp without a preamp.

But hey, I could be wrong.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I prefer a passive bass to either 9v or 18v. Petebass is correct that any bass can go through a DI into the house board. My passive Fender Jazz V sounds awesome direct.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I upgraded my 9v to 18v...and then did the same with my second bass...I'll likely never play a 9v system again if it's modifiable (is that even a word?)

Great tone...killer transients...better head room...nuff said!