Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9-volt trouble. help now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by notabob, Jan 15, 2004.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok, i was playing my bass, noticed a little hum, switched the batteries and it didnt work at all. i opened her back up and the black wire that goes inside of the plastic thing to get to the metal thing that connects to the battery had come out. my options are

1. pinch the wire between the cup on the connector and the battery.
    2. cut the plastic on the connector and fix it
    3. get battey boxes installed
    4. whatever your idea is.

please help. i cant play my bass until i fix this. (peavey millennium 5 USA)

(sorry if this is the wrong forum, but active pickups...)

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Solder?

tk

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    it broke off under the plastic thing so i cant get to it to solder it, and i dont even have a soldering gun...

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Anything you would do would be temporary then.

Best bet is to cut away the plastic and find a way to solder it.

It does need to be a good clean connection.

Sorry I don't know any alternatives.

tk

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    thanks tk.

i think ill either go with that and deal with the routing and such later on when i ahve some money, or just go to radio shack and get another clip and solder it in there in the broken ones place. i think it would be best to just fix the one i have now because i will definitely get battery boxes in the next few months. actually, i might go order one now.

thanks again.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Soldering irons that will do that job aren't very expensive nor is the solder.

Good luck and do fix it. Not gonna be hard at all with the tools

tk

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i know someone who lives down the street who has a soldering iron. it shouldnt be a problem.

8. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    If you are going to solder it, why not just replace it with a better made one. you can replace the entire 9 volt battery strap. There real cheap at Radio Shack. If you don't, every time you replace your battery you stand the chance of the same thing accuring. :meh:

9. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    well, the reaon i dont want to do that is because it is 18-volt electronics so i would have to wire the new battery clip in with the other one in series and i really dont want to deal with that right now and i will probably end up getting battery boxes installed some day, so this fix is most likely just a temporary thing.

10. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    ;) Cool

11. i dunno about the battery boxes. i think it would be better to stick with the clips. just recently, i remember someone talking about routing a spot for a battery box in the luthier's forum, and quite a few luthiers recommended against it because they're so unreliable. the clips are good. fewer parts to break, and if they do, radio shack sells packs of 5 for a few dollars.