For Sale 90 MM Stingray SR4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 68Goldfish, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Price:
    $1150
    Strings:
    Man, I really hate to let this one go but since I've started playing five strings it just sits in the case and only comes out once in a great while. It's really to cool of a bass for that to happen.
    1990 Musicman Stingray in natural with a seriously beautiful neck that has a combination of flame and Birdseye. The bass is in awesome condition with nary a ding to be seen on it. The neck has the satin poly finish on it instead of the wax/oil that they went to sometime in the early nineties. It also sports the old style bridge with the mutes. The original pickup died so I replaced it with a nordstrand pickup which is supposed be voiced more like a vintage ray. I will include the original pickup though which will be necessary in case you want to get a new factory one from MM. To be perfectly honest it does have some fret wear down below the fifth fret that would be consistant with a bass of this age but there is no dead spots or buzzing anywhere. I'd say that the truss rod nut is a little stiff to turn but it does turn and the neck is straight and true with a new set of slinkies on it. Comes with a newer style MM formed case. $1150 shipped in the lower 48
    Now for the pics...I'm not in any hurry to sell this and I'm not really interested in trades but I am a sucker for G&L basses. Especially those with five strings.
    P4190028_zps9fdcade6.jpg P4190032_zps4c726cd5.jpg IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    AztecViking, armybass, mpdd and 7 others like this.
  2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Those first two pictures look awfully familiar...pretty sure this was mine.

3. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I believe it! Can't remember if it was you that I got it from or another TB'r. I've been taking care of it for the last couple of years and now it needs a new home....:(

Gord_oh likes this.
  4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Absolutely stunning bass. Nothing more beautiful than a natural maple on maple Ray with Birdseye and flame.

Amazing instrument.

68Goldfish likes this.
  5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I know you play 5 strings, would love this one back. Taking trades?

6. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I'm planning on a special order G&L so I doubt it but feel free to PM me.

7. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Are you sure it's not late 80s? I thought mine was a 1990, it has the 6 bolt neck.

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    When I owned it yet, EB said it was a 1989.

9. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    2013-05-07_19-49-56_785_zps9099907a.jpg According to EB it was born on July 2nd 1990 and the color was natural, naturally.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    birminghambass likes this.
  10. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Very nice! This has to be one of the last 4-bolt neck SR4s.

68Goldfish likes this.
  11. Ditul

Ditul

Jan 14, 2006
    Belgium
    Weight please?

12. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    The only way I can weigh this is by weighing myself with and without the bass on my home scale. I did this several times and got an average of 9.8 pounds which seems a little light to me but it's probably pretty close.
    Also, just to add, I just looked at the case when I took it out to weigh it. It's a newer music man hard plastic type. It's seen some use but it's works perfectly good. I can take some pics of it for any interested parties.

13. Spray Bass

Spray Bass

Dec 18, 2016
    Cool

14. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Nice!!!

15. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Beauty!

(Warning..............use a full size shim!!!!!!!!)

16. Spray Bass

Spray Bass

Dec 18, 2016
    Still have it?

17. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Actually this was when I was initially setting it up when I first got it. I ended up removing those shims from a previous setup as I didn't think they were needed.

18. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    PM sent.

19. GabrielICPMS

GabrielICPMS

Feb 16, 2017
    Very interested in your bass. New to the site. I would like to make an offer. How do I go about it.

20. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Not sure how I feel about this but this baby is sold! Good travels my friend.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021