Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

90 $$ setup ? HOW DO I LEARN?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bongo499, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    i took my 2 month old warwick corvetter 5 into a local music store to be setup and it cost me 90 dollars. After i said to myself thats pathetic that it would cost soo much and started researching ways to learn how to preform a setup.. no luck... can anyone give me tips or a site teaching the basics of setting up bass guitars. :hyper: :bag: :mad: :rollno:

2. Check out mrgearhead.com and garywillis.com. Both sites have a lot of info. And of course, search these forums, because a lot has been discussed before.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    as long as you're careful and don't freak out and over-adjust anythign you could probably do your own set ups. The most they do, unless they go nuts and clean out ur control cavity, is adjust your truss rod, maybe give the fretboard a nice cleaning with a damp cloth, and if you're watching, give your baby a little shine. But on the whole, i too have felt like i've been shafted. So i got myself dan erlwinde's book "guitar player's guide to guitar repair" the spelling of that name is probably wrong, the book isn't sitting infront of me. There isn't much on bass stuff, but most of the book is about finish work and other things that are equally as important on both instruments. And there's a whole chapter on bass setups.
    Basically, you want to sight your neck; just look down the length of it. You don't want a smiley face. If it looks like its bowed, or "smiling" as the guys at my local shop call it, you need to take a way some relief. One achieves this by taking the huge allen wrench that came with your bass (or that's what i assume if you got a corvette, my USA j-bass came with one) and turn the adjustment nut a little bit to the right at a time. If you over adjust, the truss rod will freak out and your pretty instrument will be a useless piece of crap. remember: righty tighty lefty loosey.
    Beyond that, ihaven't done much else besides intonation. oh yeah, they do that too, but as long as youd on't change your string gauge u should be cool for the change of seasons.
    Peace.

4. Now honestly, did you look before asking? For instance, did you look right up there at the top of the forum? See that thread that says "All your trussrod and action questions answered here"? That would be a good place to start. ;)

5. heres what you do: dont go back to that store ever again. they charged you up the a$$ for somethign you could do yourself.

6. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Well... Maybe if they put $60 strings on there, and the action/intonation was all over the place to start with, it might be worth it.

My guess is that they didn't put expensive strings on there...

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    bongo499:

Hi. I don't want to come across as being rude but guess what?
    I spent about four hours one night searching the forums and reading everything that had to do with setting up my Warwick.
    And guess what? It paid off. I never had to waste a thread asking people how to do this and that. It is right up on top of the damn subject area.

I prefer to be with the majority of posters here. I will help those who appear to try and help themself.

Good luck.

:)

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In today's world, services are expensive. If the tech was required to spend any time at all with the thing, $90 is pretty much normal.

The real reason for learning setup is not to save money but rather to see that the bass always plays exactly the way you want it to. As your technique and style evolves, your set up will also.

Read as much here as time allows. Hambone alone has posted enough information to help you do a great setup. If you have specific questions, ask them in this forum.

It always helps to make the letters of your post really big. Otherwise they get ignored. :rolleyes:

If the $90 is really getting to you, go out and get yourself a double bass. After that huge dose of relativity, anytime you mess with your BG, you'll feel like you got off cheap. :)

9. bass thumper

bass thumper

Jan 13, 2005
    Chill out :spit:

10. I spend a good 2hrs aday on this sub forum answering question if i can, i think i've answer these kinds of questions dozens of times. but still, it is a forum and he is entitled to post a thread until a mod says otherwise. learn to cope with the fact that people may notsee something as quickly as you.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    not for nuthin' but...just because a bass is two months old doesn't mean the frets don't need to be leveled and dressed. Some times a
    brand new bass needs it more after it's been shipped god knows where through god knows what climate changes.

That stuff takes a lot of time to do right. Sure it's mostly down time waiting for the neck to settle down but it's still bench time.

I just did a full set up on my Sadowsky and it sucked about 4 hours out of my day.

Or maybe you got ripped off but 90 bucks for a full meal deal is reasonable. If it's done right.