Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'90 Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chace90, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    As you can tell from my signature, I've been looking for any early model Warwick Thumb Neck-thru fretless. Finally found one. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these early ones. This one has a bart pre and pickups, not sure if they're stock. Just making sure I'm not getting screwed anywhere with these. I'm getting it for about $1500, so I think I got lucky. Just looking for opinions! Thanks guys.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Warwick basses generally come stock with MEC's, not Bartolini's. It's *possible* the original owner could have custom ordered it, as such, but highly unlikely. I know Seymour Duncans were an option at one time...

Anyway, if it plays well, sounds good, and seems to fit, that's not a bad price for one.

3. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I think Warwick might have offered Barts at one point.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i had a 96 thumb with huge bartolini soaps in it. they were original...

5. and the 90 Thumb 4 that I owned came stock with MEC pickups and electronics. Go figure.

6. Yup, I've got a '90 Thumb which has the MECs fitted.

7. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Warwick started making their own Mec pu's in 1990; during the eighties they used to put EMG's or Bartolini's on their basses.
    My 1989 Thumb necktru 4 has EMG's.
    MY experience with this bass is a love story; i just can say wonderful things about it.

8. how many strings?

9. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    it's a 4 banger

10. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    There was an option for Bart's back then. Most had EMG's.

11. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I'm really hoping the barts sound good! The one I played was 91 with MEC's. I loved it's tone and playbility. I don't think there's any other majoy differences between 90 and 91.

12. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    email me at dhuffguitars@msn.com

If this is the fretless with dots at every fret location I have worked on this bass you speak of.

Darrin

13. I think you can still have them factory fitted with different pickups, Basslines, Barts, EMG:s, and maybe even Alembics. Or, at least you could in the the early-mid nineties. They will probably come with BEC electronics either way, though.

14. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Just emailed you Darrin. Nice to see everyone being so helpful. I'm reluctant to buy a bass that I haven't played before but this one and others sound like they were very well built.

15. These days Warwick come standard with MEC pups and pre's, at least the fours and five str's do, the sixs come with soapbars of some sort. You can custom order with bartolini's for bout $400.

16. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    My '90 Streamer Stage II came with EMGs.

17. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, the guy who backed out on eBay came into some cash and got it in the end. I'm pretty dissappointed because the people at my old job couldn't get me word fast enough if they'd let me work again, therefore giving me the funds to buy the bass. Oh well, back to sitting and waiting for another to come along.