Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$900 for a head and cab....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Oct 20, 2003.

1. I have $900 for a head and a cab. I'm not familiar with amps at all so what is the best buy for that money.

I play most jazz and slap stuff. I also play some "punk" stuff with a band I'm in. I need a tone that is good for jazz but can also give me that slap tone I so long for.

If you need any other info tell me.

Thanks in advance.

2. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    older SWR stuff can be had for pretty cheap - just be careful and make sure the stuff is clean and in perfect working order. I got my whole rig for $700, an older SM400 head and a Goliath II 4x10 cab and I can get pretty much any kind of sound I want, loudly.

3. do you plan on playing any gigs with your future rig?

4. Yeah I do. Right now I'm plugged into the band's PA system but it sucks from the singing and leads to other problems. So yes, I do plan on using it for gigs.

5. and if you're looking for a new cab, check out some of avatar's stuff

what kind wattage are your guitarist(s) using? and how loud does your drummer play?

6. Both guitarists and drummer are very loud. I'm going to need something powerful that can hold its own on higher volumnes but also sounds nice when its quiet.

7. stumbled upon this... just slightly out of your price range. i've never used it, but SWR makes quality gear generally